Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Praecautus Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
    How do I get a job
    I have filled out over 300 applications for work over the last 6 months, got a 2-3 letters saying sorry no work but that's it. What am I doing wrong? My savings is running out and I have never had a job so I can't file for unemployment. I'm getting to the point where my only option is to go out on the street and beg, what can I do? ( I also don't qualify for the military, first thing I tried. )
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 02:54 PM

What type of employment are you looking for? What is your education, experience?

The economy is terrible where I am - Attorneys are working as legal secretaries. I see people with college educations working the counter at Burgerking. It's honest work, it brings in money, hopefully the economy will improve.

Are background checks holding you back? I notice from your other threads that you have a history of depression, wanting to commit suicide, other issues. Is that the specific problem you are having?

Jan 21, 2011, 03:08 PM

I don't have any mental health records that would show up in a background check, all my treatment has been with private psychiatrists and psychologists. Who knows maybe there is something, I was committed once but I was told after the 48 hour hold that no paper work would be filed, I bought a gun not to long ago so I don't think there is anything.

I am looking for anything at all, I have gone door to door to almost ever business in a 100 mile radius, some tell me to fill applications out on line, some say they aren't accepting any and some accept my application and resume on the spot. Like I said I can count almost 600 applications that I have filled out. I have applied to every single fast food restaurant there is.

I have no idea, it's very depressing, and everyone knows I don't handle depression very well.

Jan 21, 2011, 03:09 PM

On top of that I have even filled out a few dozen applications for volunteer and internship work without pay just to get some experience. I guess people realize I'm not worth their time.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 03:11 PM

Wow - your area must be even harder hit than mine. The only thing I can even begin to suggest is to keep on applying, and I know how cold those words are.

Have you tried a temp agency of some sort?

Have you looked into Welfare (or similar) benefits to see you through?

Do you have family you can rely on or a Church affiliation that might be able to lend assistance?

As far as the gun - don't do anything that your family will have to live with forever. Please, it's a terrible burden to them. If you are so depressed that you are considering suicide PLEASE seek counselling. PLEASE.

Sometimes volunteer organizations are harder to join than paid employment. I think everyone is afraid of being sued if a volunteer says one word out of line.

At any rate - perhaps, if you are depressed, some sort of half way house until you get on your feet?

(By the way, no one is worthless. Why don't you stick around here and add your words to other people who are depressed or feel worthless, who are posting? It certainly doesn't pay anything but it would fill up your time and give you some purpose.)

Jan 21, 2011, 03:18 PM

I am not considering suicide. And LOL on the gun thing, it's so messy I would never do that to myself there are a lot better ways to kill myself, which I would also not do.

Whenever I call the office of public assistance I just get the run around, I gave up on the last month. I was able to get food stamps but that's the only thing that seems to work in the whole system.

I have applied to temp agencies and I get some work every now and then but its like $200 a month.

My student loans keep growing, my savings is almost gone and I have $4000 left in credit card debt. I am really not trying to act like charity case but I am literally two months from being on the street.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 04:04 PM

I know. I can read your desperation. (Glad about the gun/suicide/that whole thing)

Let's see if someone else comes along while I ponder this...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 21, 2011, 04:10 PM

*wooooosh*

Here I am, at your service!

Have you applied at any public libraries?

Jan 21, 2011, 04:45 PM

All government jobs, statewide are posted on the state website. So if any library jobs came up I applied for them. I get emails every day of new job postings on the state website and I apply for everyone that I qualify for. Every time I can think of a place I haven't applied to, I do.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 21, 2011, 05:05 PM

The jobs posted on that state web site (for libraries) are for only professional positions. Libraries hire high schoolers, h.s. grads, college kids, and college grads who have no library experience. I worked in libraries for 30 years with no previous library experience or library education.

The employees at the front desk, the pages who shelve books, some of the children's department staff, and most tech service workers (who process materials for cataloging) are not professionals and would not have positions posted on a state web site.

Your best bet is to walk into a library and fill out an application.
    Also, watch local papers for ads, although in this tight job market, there may not be an open position posted publicly. A job seeker has to be proactive and even somewhat aggressive by going right to the front desk and ask for an app.

Which state do you live in (so I'll be able to tell you how the library systems work)?

Also, ask to be a volunteer at the library. That will get your foot in the door for positions that open up. A number of our library volunteers got hired as time went by and we saw how well they worked and coordinated with us.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 05:34 PM

Whoosh!~ Out of greenies but thank you.

Jan 26, 2011, 05:43 AM

Yea stopped by the library yesterday, but they are getting new carpet in so they are closed for a few days, thanks for the suggestion. However, a new development has come up, I have been selected to go to an interview with Washington State Patrol. I really don't know what they are going to ask me, but it's something I have been looking forward to for a very long time. I am really worried about my past history though, dropping out of school, getting committed and all that. Should I just forget it all together or what should I do to best prepare for the interview, or if I get past that, the psychological evaluation. It's something I've wanted to do my whole life, on one hand I want to tell them everything, on the other I don't want to get disqualified. Maybe I really think I would do a good job but I don't really know I don't want to be too selfish in my endeavor. This is one of the best opportunities that has ever happened to me, I don't want to say too much or too little. What do you guys think?
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2011, 07:17 AM

You have to tell the truth if for no other reason than a Police Agency can access any/all records and if you lie and are found out that will end the opportunity for you.

If you don't go to the interview you'll never know if you could have been hired.

I say you have to go. Downplay the bad; emphasize the good.

They obvously are interested enough in you to call you in for an interview and in this economy they have to have far more applicants than they have jobs.

(How are you getting past the educational requirements? You say you dropped out of school - )

Jan 26, 2011, 08:07 AM

Educational requirements only require a Diploma or GED for entry level candidates. I finished high school, I dropped out of college.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2011, 09:13 AM

Oh, glad to hear that. I'd go for the interview. You present yourself well in the typed word. I've got to think you'd make a good impression, explain yourself well, in person. I'd say go for it.

(If you get hired and stop me for speeding, do I get to walk away? I didn't think so.)

Jan 31, 2011, 07:00 PM

Well I told them, everything and aparently any history of metal disease or defect automatically disqualifies me from the state troopers. I also tried to join the military today, same thing. Looks like I am going to be stuck doing dead end jobs the rest of my life, especially with the $30k of debt I have... oh well, student loans so bankruptcy is not an option. Kind of sucks, don't really know what to do now. Might go to skid row and become a hobo or something.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 07:03 PM

What degree(s) do you have?

Jan 31, 2011, 07:13 PM

I don't have any degree I dropped out of college, college cost me a lot of stress that I didn't know how to deal with at the time. That is the reason I am where I am, the stress lead to depression, the depression lead to more stress, which is when I wanted to die then I got picked up by the sheriffs office. Long story short I ****ed up the rest of my life.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 07:21 PM

No, things will work out. Let's keep this going and see what other options you have. You have so many good qualities and have learned so much because of the bad things that have existed in your life so far.

How much college did you actually have? What courses with what grades?

Jan 31, 2011, 07:39 PM

Two years, I took courses in microeconomics which I failed 3 times, Intelligence analysis writing and briefing, corporate security management, general courses in math, psychology, physics, and english. Some foreign affairs classes, military history, business management, humanities art and literature, language (persian), personality and profiling, and intro to law. I have 65 credit hours overall in the various subjects, my grades are mostly A and B I got one C and 2 Fs and one D. First year I had a 3.5gpa and second year I got about a 1.8 average my cumulative gpa was 2.6 or something like that. I can't look at my grades any more and I can't get a transcript because I still owe the school $4k. I really don't like saying I even went to school because I don't feel like I learned anything; a few things here and there but overall not as much as I should have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between job analysis, job description and job specification? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between job description, job analysis and job specification?

Design a job description and job spesification for a hypothetical job [ 1 Answers ]

ABC company has a problem of motivation among their factory floor workers.the management decide to increase the amount of task to be performed by some employees while providing more authority to some of the employees to performe duties.Along with these changes another set of empoloyees werw give an...

Distinguish between job description,job specification and job rotation [ 1 Answers ]

Distinguish between job description,job specification and job rotation

View more questions Search