Hiring Ex Felons

Asked Oct 30, 2008, 06:41 AM 18 Answers
    Is It Illegal NOT to hire a person based solely because they are an ex felon. After they have paid their debt to society, should they be allowed another chance to rejoin the working class? It seem to me that if you make a mistake society makes you pay for it for the rest of your life. What say yee

Last edited by J_9; Nov 29, 2008 at 06:07 AM.
    kimjobcoach's Avatar
    kimjobcoach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#11

Aug 17, 2009, 09:33 AM
    I am coming late to this conversation - but I am sure that there are people out there still looking for answers. You are right - some people are going to take a look at your record and go directly to the next person, but there are quite a few people out there that are not only willing to consider, but actually hire people despite their record. One of the things that you really need to keep in mind right now is that the job market is bad for EVERYONE. If you aren't getting hired, it may not simply be because you have a background - so many people are fighting for the jobs out there that it makes it tough.

One tool that you can use is that there are tax credits available for employers who are willing to consider hiring someone within their first year of release from prison. The company that I work for is called The Next Step, and we are working in Iowa and Pennsylvania at the moment, so I am most familiar with the credits available in those two states, but I am certain that each state has it's own version of rewarding employers for giving people a second chance.
    kimjobcoach's Avatar
    kimjobcoach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#12

Aug 17, 2009, 09:33 AM

HUMANSERVICE's Avatar
    HUMANSERVICE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#13

Feb 17, 2010, 07:35 AM
    We need to Form a Group in order to make it so employers CANNOT obtain legal background on us felons. It is discrimination. The nation has been so freely handing out felonies to fill their jails, and yes there are many who are fortunate enough to not have been cought, or where they really fortunate?? There are those too who do have severe problems and are harmful to others. However, almost 85% of the people I have met on parole, in jail, prisons, or who have been served by social security security, section 8, or even welfare have the ability to work, they have the motivation, they have an ambiton to discover the world like every human does. But they held back with hopelessness due to consitantly being cut down or rejected time and time again. What if that person is the one to make an important discovery for the human race?? To cure cancer or other disease?? What if one of these people are the ones to invent space travel like no other?? FELONS DESERVE A CHANCE. THE GOVERNMENT LETS THIS CONTINUE. IT IS RACIST. PERIOD. IT IS INHUMAN. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES WHEATHER YOU HAVE A RECORD OF IT OR NOT. WHO IS THE REAL CRIMINAL TO NOT HELP YOUR BROTHERS OR SISTERS AND TO JUDGE THEM AND LET THEM BE JUGED?? WE MUST CHANGE THIS FOR THIS WILL HELP OUR ATTITUDES AS HUMANS AS A WHOLE. PLEASE RESPOND- THSMALLTOWN@GMAIL.COM
    I WILL FIGHT FOR US... THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING...
    notacriminal's Avatar
    notacriminal Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

#14

Jun 8, 2010, 03:24 PM

Does anyone know if moving to another country will give you a fresh start? I have heard Canada is a pritty good place to try and start over.
    twofeathers's Avatar
    twofeathers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#15

Oct 8, 2010, 08:21 AM
    I understand your struggle. I'm facing the same problem. They just don't care. Im a repeat offender that has finally learned my lesson, but now its to late, because I'm labeled now. There is no hope no wonder people go back to what got them into trouble. Some times it just seems like there's no other choice.
    hikeg's Avatar
    hikeg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#16

Feb 18, 2011, 12:16 PM
    I too can relate to this struggle. I am a one time offender, convicted of second degree murder of an intruder in my home. All water under the bride now, or is it. I was diagnosed late with colon cancer while incarcerated and fought back regaining my health. Upon release I was fortunate in finding employment with a former employer. Unfortunately my cancer has returned making me unable to perform the physical tasks of my employment. I have an excellent work history but being able to find new employment in a field that I am more than experienced and qualified and able to perform has been impossible to secure because of these criminal background checks. I don't yet qualify for social security and want nothing more but to find a job as a route driver involving the delivery of small packages, even a courier type position. I have a wife and two young daughters I need to support but I just cant get past that background check, despite my excellent work history and references. If anyone out there can help me please contact me at sandrajbella@aol.com or 734-262-4099
    sizzlers's Avatar
    sizzlers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#17

Apr 6, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Some companies have voice not to hire ex- felon period because of past mistakes and not to even give then a second chance.. It maybe unprecedented in a court of law but it is truly an act of aggression and revenge for an act committed upon society to deny an ex- felon or anyone with a criminal past the equal opportunity for employment as all others of a free society. Am I not free as all others in a free society with the same equal protection due to others under the constitution and to all naturalize born citizens who are protected under the same constitution of the land as all free men? Companies advertises as being an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY WORKPLACE. This is not true and should be considered false advertisement and as well unfair policy practice.It is clearly an unfair policy practice when a employer advertise as being an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY WORKPLACE and deny ex- felons an eqaul opportunity as all free men of a free society. Companies has adopted such policy that would discriminate, persecute ex-felons unfairly in there hiring practice, and unlawfully punish.

bay0818's Avatar
    bay0818 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#18

Oct 7, 2011, 08:03 PM
    I can relate to this problem. I had a Felony/1992. I am still waiting for the Governor to seek clemency in the form of pardon and expungement. This has hindered me from receiving a City job or even working in the Hospital Field. Does anyone have any suggestions where you can find jobs.
    Pizzagilla's Avatar
    Pizzagilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#19

Jun 21, 2012, 08:33 PM
    I am an ex felon and had been out of prison for almost 3 years working at the same job that entire time and the company I was working for was fully aware of my felonies. I worked my way up to a supervisor position and had earned the companies full trust. But, then Amazon came along and bought the company out and they have a no felony policy so after almost 3 years of working at that company I was fired.

Hiring good people [ 3 Answers ]

How does one increase the number of acceptable job applicants in a dry cleaning company for instance? Plis tel me any recruiting strategies that you know

Hiring someone with a F1 or F2 visa [ 1 Answers ]

If I hire someone with a F1 or F2 visa to work as our nanny... what are the tax rules? Do I pay taxes on her? Does she pay taxes?

Hiring a felon [ 6 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia, is there a tax break for hiring a felon?

Hiring Probability [ 5 Answers ]

Question: Of 64 qualified applicants for job classification B, 16 have long hair. In the past the agency hired 8 positions. If the agency hired without regard to hair length, what is the probability of hiring 7 people with long hair out of the eight new hires? Would you say that the agency...

Hiring without being bonded [ 2 Answers ]

Can a business that needs to have it's employees bonded to enter customer's home, legally hire someone who has not been bonded? I stupidly signed a contract with a business before they had all my information - insurance, registration, background check- and decided the job was not for me. They are...