Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NiK0laI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Dog marks because of new cat
    Hi,
    I have a beagle mix and everything in his little world was fine, until my roommate decided to adopt a cat from the humane society. Now my dog is defecating in my roommate's bedroom on the floor or urinating on his bedroom door. The cat sleeps in his room with him. How do I get my dog to stop doing this? He has been doing this for about 2 1/2 weeks now.

A little background on my dog which may help:
    He is a 5 year old beagle mix I got from the humane society, he has been neutered.
    He has separation anxiety, when I'm gone he howls and cries. I got a citronella collar that seems to have solved the problem. He is totally fine with the new cat, he will sit on the couch right next to the cat and doesn't care at all.

Any help would be appreciated as I am getting sick of cleaning up poop and so is my roommate.

NiK0laI
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

A crate would be a big help too. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

The crate may help the separation anxiety too.
    NiK0laI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Thanks for the input. I have told my roommate that the dog sees him as an equal and not the dominate because he the dog has no reason to submit to him. I told him that he need to take the dog for a walk occasionally and perform some activities where he can establish dominance. The dog never listens to him, I'm not really sure how much experience he has with dogs.
    I am no expert on dogs by any means, but the dog has absolutely no problem listening to me or either of my parents. I honestly think I need to send my roommate to training and not the dog.

I actually tried the crate before I got him the citronella collar, he was actually worse at howling and crying when I left. He didn't have a problem going into it when I was around though, he seems to like the smaller spaces.

I am going to pickup a baby gate and try that out. There is a small hallway to my roommate's room and I will block that off, I'm thinking that will help, however he may still pee on it.

Thanks,
    NiK0laI

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Cat and dog help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my family have a 6 month old beagle puppy and 3 cats. Well, my dog goes after the oldest cat, scruffy. She will hit him in the mouth(by the way she has nof ront claws) and he likes it. He will chase her but will not bite her. He will also go after the other cat cuddles who we just got. She...

Rescue And Adopt A Dog Or Cat! Don't Buy One! [ 16 Answers ]

quote: originally posted by labman puppies are a lot of work. Often i try to convince people to adopt an older dog instead of buying a puppy. I see many questions, here and elsewhere, from people who would have been better off not buying a puppy. bravo labman! I agree with you 100%. I...

Which Is More Dangerous Concerning Cat And Dog Food [ 10 Answers ]

Is It More Dangerous For A Cat To Eat Some Dog Food, Or A Dog To Eat Some Cat Food? Are There Specific Dangerous Ingredients? Thanks.

Dog eatting cat droppinig [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my brother has a Sheltie which is two years old. My brother brings his dog to our house quite a bit. He lives just two houses down and doesn't like taking care of the dog so he brings him here for us to watch. The dog is sweet. We have three cats and another dog. The Sheltie will get into the...

View more questions Search