Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Idrees Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Dec 7, 2007, 03:18 AM
    What is difference between white and silver
    It is said that white color reflects all the colors of white light. Silver also reflects all the colors of light. Then what is the difference between silver & white? Also why is it so that we can see our shape in silver (like mirror) and not on smooth white colored surface?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 03:29 AM
    Depends what you mean by silver. To me silver is just a greyish color - reflects them all with some loss - a dull white if you want.

But the thing with the silvered surface of the mirror is that it's finely polished.

White color is not polished - if it was, then it would be silver like a mirror!

A mirror reflects specularly, white reflects diffusely. (click the links).

If you have any more trouble understanding, please come back and reply!

In a finely polished car, it's actually a layer of buffing wax that reflects specularly (like water), and the paint reflects diffusely, which is why you can see both the color and your reflection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Silver certificate [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if my silver certificate has any value it is a 1957B Y01356742A, I also have a 1957A P48033325A, 1935E X81638746G there all in excellent no tears or rips anything.

From white to silver hair [ 1 Answers ]

I have dyed my hair black-dark brown (it's original color) since it started going gray 20 years ago and started adding highlights to help lighten it, but as much as I love having black hair, it's just too dark for my skin anymore. My hair is now almost completely white, so trying to keep it the...

Silver certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how much a dollar bill, with a blue stamp,( I believe it's called a silver certificate), is worth. It's pretty worn but not torn or anything.

View more questions Search