Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carlybearx3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Cartilage Piercing
    I got my cartilage pierced 9 days ago and it seemed to be fine. Now it's red and is tender. There isn't any puss or scabs but it hurts to touch or lay on. Is this normal or is it infected? :confused:
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 10:16 AM
    This is normal. The cartilage in our ears is very sensitive so it tends to be a little more tender. If you show any signs of extreme swelling or yellowish to greenish discharge that doesn't smell that great, then it is probably infected. If that happens, see a doctor for some antibiotics.

Try not to sleep on it as much as possible, don't use that ear to talk on the phone.. stay away from stuff like that. Also, don't play with it a lot. Rotate it ONCE when you clean it, otherwise don't touch it. When you rotate it, make sure your hands are clean with antibacterial soap as well. Make sure you leave this piercing in for at least 12 weeks, then you can change it to another earring. :)
    vrock131 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 09:22 AM

Good answer nauticalstar! I'm 12 and I'm getting mine done I'm just afraid of the infection
    Star_Ruby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
    What you've described is normal. Your cartilage piercing will likely be tender for the next month or more. Cartilage piercings can take a year to fully heal. If you notice a lot of pain, increased redness and swelling, or smelly green/yellow discharge, then see a doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gauging a cartilage piercing [ 7 Answers ]

Hey I just pierced my cartilage myself, no pain at all right now.. no swelling.. basically everything went fine. My first question is.. 1.how long until I can take this out without it closing up too fast to put in another piercing 2.I have an 8 gauge bar (also used on my lob) that I was...

Swimming after cartilage piercing [ 4 Answers ]

Is it safe to go swimming in a chlorine pool right after getting a cartilage piercing (on your upper ear)?:confused:

Cartilage piercing. Swimming? [ 3 Answers ]

I am thinking about getting my cartilage pierced. I hear it takes around 3-6 months to heal. If I got it pierced now would I be able to swim in Lake Shasta in August?

My cartilage piercing. [ 20 Answers ]

I always wanted my cartilage pierced, just a simple stud. Though, my mother never wanted me to do it. I was at a friends house 2 days ago who has a piercing gun, that is her mothers who has a license for piercings. Anyway, so since I always wanted it done, my friend did it. It's been 2 days, and...

Cartilage piercing and sports [ 3 Answers ]

I am in dance team and I want to get a cartilage piercing dance team starts in November if I got it know would it be fine by then to take it out and leave it out for about 20 minutes. If not what are my options the rules are not jewlery so I don't know what to do.

View more questions Search