Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmoyers68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Legal Rights in DC
    I rent out a room and bath to an individual. He moved in in August 2006. In January he made a verbal complaint about his bedroom and bathroom door not closing or locking. I looked into getting them replaced. In March, he wrote me a note saying he was withholding rent until the problem was fixed. I did buy the doors and finally got my contractors over there to fix the doors. Though he is now claiming when the contractors were fixing the door, they laid their tools on his area rug and he's going to send me the cleaning bill. (I can't see any stains, other then normal wear). There is not huge grease stain.

Anyway, now that the doors are fixed, I am expecting him to pay the past rent for March and April. What legally can I do if he does not? Can I terminate his lease?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 02:26 PM
    He has to pay the past rent, the money was suppose to be held in escrow till you fixed the problem. If the contractor did damge, you can be liable.

You give him official notice to pay the bill or you will start official eviction notice. And do it if he does not pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who has the legal rights to parents ashes? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question requarding my fathers ashes. In 1999 my father passed away, At the time of his death he was not married. He had a live in girl friend of 12 years. I don't know if Philadelphia is a common law state or not. My dad had three daughters. Two from his first marriage and one from his...

Legal rights/paternity [ 4 Answers ]

I found out I have a two y/o son recently. Mother says she got pregnant purposely to have sibling for older brother. She agreed to let me see him which I have regularly since I found out. I also established paternity through a blood test. Problem is, I want to see child more than mother wants me...

Tenants legal rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I would appreciate any info. My name is Boni, I'm trying to help my sister. She lives in Gainesboro TN. Her husband just left her, and took all her money and went out of state. Apparently eviction notice was given to her spouse but not her. She has 2 kids, She does not have a copy of...

Does my ex-boyfriend have any legal rights to my daughter? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any legal rights to my daughters father? He hasn't seen her in 6 years and now he wants to be in her life. She has me her mother her sister and a step father. She only knows her step father as her only father. My fiancé would like to adopt her. Is there anyway he can if were not married...

Mother Signing Away Legal Rights [ 3 Answers ]

My husband had a baby with a woman seven months that wants nothing to do with the baby. She hasn't seen her since the day she was born. She is willing to sign away her legal rights, how much would it cost her to do that? If it's possible.

View more questions Search