Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Harry1951 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Ex dividend dates and stock options
    I owned a stock that had an ex dividend date of 8/10/12. I had sold a covered call which was well in the money so I expected to see the call exercised on 8/9/12. The call was not exercised 8/9 but when I opened my brokerage account on 8/10/12, it had exercised on that date.

Per my understanding, since the option was not exercised until 8/10 which is the ex-dividend date, I should get the dividend. Am I correct and if not where I am going wrong.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 10:01 AM
    Yes, I believe you are correct as long as the stock was still in your account as of the close of trading on August 9. In the US the ex-dividend date is the first date for which the buyer can not expect to receive the dividend, so whoever owns the stock as of the close of trading the day prior to the ex-dividend date receives the dividend. The rules are a bit different in other countries.

To make sure you can check the web site for the company - in their investor relations page they should state whether the dividend is payable to stock holders of record as of August 9.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Yeah, that's right. Be sure to check our TOS and your paid advisor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting for treasury stock used in stock dividend [ 1 Answers ]

How do I account for treasury stock use in a stock dividend for preferred stock? What would the journal entry by? I don't believe I should debit retained earnings for this transaction, but I'm not sure what account to debit. Please Help

The dates of importance in connection with a cash dividend of $50,000 on a corporatio [ 1 Answers ]

The dates of importance in connection with a cash dividend of $50,000 on a corporation's common stock are date of declaration, date of record, and date of payment. Make the appropriate journal entry for each of the three dates. A corporation purchased for cash 5,000 shares of its own $10 par...

Calculating Preferred Stock and Common Stock Dividend [ 1 Answers ]

I want help understanding calculating dividends on preferred stock, here is the question: Golf-Easy Company has 10,000 shares of 3% preferred stock of $50 par and 25,000 shares of $100 par common stock. The following amounts were distributed as dividends: Year 1 $40,000 Year 2 ...

How to calculate Stock dividend shares and cash dividend amounts? [ 1 Answers ]

I owe 600 shares common stock , I currently received cash dividend of .42 per share a year. A 5% stock dividend, was declared, how many shares of coomon stock would I receive as a dividend?

Stock Split and Stock Dividend Differentiated [ 2 Answers ]

What are the differences between the accounting and securities market between the 2 methods of increasing the number of shares outstanding. The 2 methods are stock splits and stock dividends.

View more questions Search