Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bobbie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Recently disabled
    I don't work anymore but still have a 401K @ my last job, Will a disable person still be taxed, if so what would be the best thing for me to do with my 401K. Thanks for your help. Bobbie
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jan 29, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Bobbie,
    Income from your 401K will be taxed. Any other income will also be taxed unless it is specifically excluded by law.
    To make susggestions on what to do with your 401K requires a lot more information (amount, needs, risk tolerance, etc.)
    Walt

Jan 29, 2006, 12:17 PM
    walt17, Thank you for your reply. I guess your answer still applies to this question or yet I don't know if I got my point across the last time, but will I be taxed when I take the money out of the 401k if I choose not to roll it over. Thanks for your help, this is a really cool website. Bobbie
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jan 29, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Bobbie,
    If you do not roll the 401K distribution over to another tax deferred plan (e.g. traditional IRA) it will be taxable income. Also keep in mind that if you are not 59 1/2 there may be a penalty for early withdrawal.
    Walt

Jan 30, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by walt17
    Bobbie,
    If you do not roll the 401K distribution over to another tax deferred plan (e.g. traditional IRA) it will be taxable income. Also keep in mind that if you are not 59 1/2 there may be a penalty for early withdrawal.
    Walt
    Walt, Well I am not 59 1/2 yet and want be for a while so I guess I will have to bite the bullet and pay the Gov.'nt their part. Thanks for your help and if anything comes to your mind on a safe place for the 401k keep me updated. Lee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recently got a 4 year old pit bull [ 6 Answers ]

Three days ago I went and picked up a 4 year old pit bull and the pit bull weighs 90 pounds real health she is also fixed can't have pups my only concern is that she is not ate nothing but a hotdog so far and its been 3 days she is drinking water as she needs it the temp outside has been fairly hot...

Recently Disabled [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to turn 43 and recently became disabled.I am now collecting workers comp and social security.I am no longer able to contribute to my 401k because I am no longer employed but would like to keep investing.Can I roll my 401k into an IRA or do I have to be employed to contribute to an IRA ?...

Have started a new job recently... everyone so cold! [ 5 Answers ]

HI everyone, I need some advice, I recently have started a job (sales in a smaller ISP) and just to give you a little insight of the company... my boss, also the owner of the company, is my uncle (also my mom's brother, she passed away when I was 12) his wife (my aunt) is the accountant, and there...

Recently married, and bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I got married four months ago, my husband has many old debts (from when he was single) and he wants to file for a bankruptcy. Mostly, all the accounts ( house, credit card, car) are under my name only, I added him in one of my credit card as an additional user but this cretid card is under my name....

View more questions Search