Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    figtree Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 05:51 AM
    I Was Fired.What Now?
    This is the first time I've been fired and aside from mixed feelings of anger and relief, I'm concerned about how this might effect my future chances. The dreaded question, "why did you leave your last position?" is causing me anxiety.
    Prior to my taking this job I had been out of work for over a year due to medical reasons. I could not resume my previous job duties as they were too physical for me at that time and could not secure an 'inside' position. So I resigned. If I omit this last job from my resume there will be a huge gap in my employment.
    I was on my new job for six months and got sick. I was out for two weeks (bad timing) and was under medical care. My company forced me to take short term disability. At the time I should have been off probation but because of a company merger everyone was "too busy" and it was postponed. Short term disability + still on probation = discharge.
    I was not given any warnings and the person from HR said not to worry.
    I applied for and I'm receiving unemployment.
    How should I answer that question? By nature I'm too honest for my own good, but I figure prospective employers will find out I was fired.
    How should I proceed in my new job search?
    Sorry for the length of my saga and thanks for your advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2008, 07:45 AM

Explain that you had to go on short term disability before you finished your probation and were terminated due to corporate policy.
    JuliaPenny Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2008, 03:28 AM
    If you were clearly fired from your job and not laid off because of a retrenchment-type process then it is best to be open and honest in giving the reasons for your dismissal.
    It is also likely that this will be explored in a reference check, so the situation should not be misrepresented in the job interview.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fired from job because I was very ill in ICU [ 4 Answers ]

I was just fired from my job today because I was in the Emergency Room and ICU in the hospital all of last week, returned to work today and the manager said I was terminated last week for excessive absences. I was unable to call my workplace nor did I have access to their number, so asked my mother...

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Fired [ 1 Answers ]

I am a salesperson and my boss is attempting to fire me without notice. The company has A process in place to work with someone prior to termination. This process was not followed. Can I do something to force the process?

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search