Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suziemac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Connect laptop but not desktop
    Hi hope you can help, I have recently got a new internet connection and can connect using ethernet to my laptop but not to my desktop. The wireless connection will not work at all. I use Xp pro on the desktop and xp home on the laptop. My network connections box says the connection is running but my desktop doesn't recognize the router, I have tried to repair the connection but this does not work. I am unsure if this is significant but the connection says it is receiving (packets, I think) but not sending.I have difficulty asking the helpline as my provider is in Lanzarote, Canary islands and I don't speak enough spanish to get results.
    BernadetteMac Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Check the speed setting of both network adaptors to see if one is different. The one that works will be the correct setting. Go to start settings control panel. Network connections, right click on the network adaptor go to properties, click on configure , then the advanced tab. See the link speed and duplex on the left side and note the setting its at on the right side. Use the drop down if you need to change it. Its either 100 full duplex or auto etc. most work OK with 100full but it could be a slower connection you have upstream. Hope that helps.
    BernadetteMac Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 01:40 PM
    The wireless could be simply that the power to the wireless adaptor is turned off. Or that the zero wireless configuration wizard is not set to autostart.
    Look that one up on Google to see the way to get to turn that on...
    The windows wireless zero config tool is ,its in the control panel under administrative tools, services.. down at the bottom.
    Suziemac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 07:30 AM
    I have checked the network adaptors and the speeds are the same. Still have the same problem when I open local area connection status it says connected and is sending and recievig packets but Explorer still does not open
    andymyersdotnet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
    I am reading between the lines and guessing you are using the Cable modem or bridge that came with the internet connection (not a store bought router). If I am guessing correctly...

You only have one ethernet port. You can only get internet access from the laptop because you plugged it in first. This is because the modem is remembering the MAC address of the laptop. When you plug in the second computer it will not issue an IP address (which means a little exclamation mark may appear over your network connection)

To test this you would need to shut EVERYTHING off for about 5 minutes. Then turn on the cable modem and next the regular desktop with the ethernet connected.

If I am wrong tell us more. What router brand/model are you using? What modem came from the internet provider. Is there a switch built in to the router?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect via remote desktop two computers on lan [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could provide me with step-by-step instructions on setting up Remote Desktop on two networked computers (not using internet) in an office. Both machines have windows xp pro. I want to be able to work on the other office computer without having to keep walking over to the...

Desktop - Laptop - share Norton? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a desktop with a wireless router not currently being used. I wish to buy a laptop, use the wireless router and be able to have internet on the laptop. I am concerned about security, on my desktop I have Norton installed, if I set up the laptop as a network with my desktop, do I need...

Laptop, desktop,and router hookup [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a dell laptop and a linksys router. I got the router installed on my laptop and it works fine. Problem is, now my desktop won't connect to the internet. I know I have something hooked up wrong. HELP!

Laptop or Desktop? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, been wanting a computer for some time now. Finally have the money. Which is right for me?? Just want something I can write my college papers on, internet and downloading music. Pretty much it. I'd prefer anything but macs. Any suggestions? Or good sales going on? Don't want to spend too much,...

How to connect laptop to PC [ 9 Answers ]

I've been meaning to transfer the files from my laptop to PC for a while and today I've finally bought Ethernet crossover cable... But unfortunately I do not know where to go from here. They are both running XP with SP1. As I want to transfer files form laptop to PC, I understand laptop is going...

View more questions Search