Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nurisim Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

May 29, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Internet Browser for OS 9
    I just bought a G3 (ya know, the old colored ones) for my grandmother. It has OS 10.00 (which I found out is technically considered OS 9). I cannot upgrade the operating system (I would... ) because this particular computer (strawberry) does not have the necessary DVD reader to read the newer OS disks. So I am stuck with 10.0. Which would be fine, except that 10.0 comes with IE 5.0, which obviously doesn't work very well. It will work for a while, but cuts out. So, to put my question simply, where can I find a (relatively good) internet browser that is compatible with OS 9? I have checked out Icab, but it costs 25$. I will pay it, if it is the onlyoption and it will work. I am looking for something like an older update of Firefox or opera or something. Anything really. She is 80 years old and only wants to check her email and the internet :( She doesn't need a new computer, and frankly probably wouldn't be able to run one. And no one at her little po-dunk internet company knows ANYTYHING about Macs. Boo.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

May 29, 2008, 05:48 PM
    You can download older versions of Netscape here. The iCab site says you can use it for free "with a small limitation" - not sure what they mean by that, but you might try it out.
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

May 29, 2008, 07:53 PM
    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or.../releases/m18/
    Try downloading "MacMozillaInstaller-M18.sea.bin"... it should be for os9 as its an sea file

Also you could track down an older version of opera (they still even do an os/2 build handy for me)

The only browser that's still maintained for mac os9 is iCab iCab - Internet Taxi for the Mac but you have to pay for it (I don't know the limitations on thefree version)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet Browser Connection Problems [ 6 Answers ]

This is my first time in the forum, so I will post as much info as I can. Basically, I am unable to connect to the internet with either IE or Firefox. The connection had been working great for 2 years until 3 days ago. I have Verizon Fios, I called Verizon, they checked my connection and said...

Which is the best browser right now? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone I want to know which browser have the best speed, organize, popup protection, and everything you can think of. Thanks

Internet Browser [ 6 Answers ]

When I get sent a link on like aim or something Firefox opens up. Well 1.) Firefox is totally messed up on my computer for w/e reason 2.) I would rather have Opera be used when the link opens. I already set the internet to opera but it won't work. And its not just opera, because IE won't work...

Internet User Stats: Browser, Display, etc. [ 2 Answers ]

1. I've generally relied on w3schools.com for display and browser stastics. I see a bunch of others mentioned here. Have any of you heard good reason to believe any one or two stand out as the best? 2. I'd really like to see some statistics on monitor resolution that break out the "over...

View more questions Search