Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timster48 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Will Keeping Web Pages Open slow my connection?
    I have my computer and my son's networked through a router connected to a Comcast cable modem. Although the connection is always on, I keep my browser closed until I need to use the internet. However, my son keeps his connection on all the time and often keeps several connections open, downloading or just leaves the pages open before going to school.
    Some times my download speed is slower than dial up, and I blame him for hogging all the broadband.
    Am I correct, that keeping several web pages open will steal the band width from a second networked computer?

Any advise would be helpful
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Usually if the web page has information being refreshed, like flashing images, some pages refresh themselves every few minutes it may take up very little bandwidth - but should not effect the broadband service. Is there a noticeable difference when he does not have any pages online?

What you can try is to test the bandwidth, with and without his side connected on your PC.

While both pc's on internet, go to page
    Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    You will see a yellow pyramid, click on that to get results

What is Speedtest.net?
    Speedtest.net is a free broadband speed test with servers located all over the world. Compare your results with others and easily share them.

Now run this test while both connected and run it with just yours connect and compare the differences - this will give you download and uplaod speeds

Here is another link to compare with
    CNET Bandwidth Meter Speed Test - Bandwidth Test

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ie7 closes all open pages & sends me to my desktop [ 2 Answers ]

When I'm online & have a few open pages , if I close anyone of them they all close down & I am taken to desktop, even tabbed pages! I've tried everything... I think it might have something to do w/ my add-ons but I don't know which one.:mad:

Web pages cannot be open [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem because I am able to enter the web pages I'm used to, like a Chase Bank page but when I input my login and password and hit submit then the message "page cannot be displayed" appear, this happens in any page in which I need to submit a Login and Password only such as bank,...

Unable to access cgi pages on wireless connection [ 1 Answers ]

When I use my laptop & wireless card with my friends access point I can connect to the web with out a problem. When logged into eBay viewing an item hyperlink I then try to look at the item i.e. cgi.ebay.co.uk page it fails. This does not happen when I an on dial up. Several other pages fail,...

Unable to Open Certain Web Pages [ 1 Answers ]

I have both FF & IE on my XP computer. Two weeks ago I had Cable DSL installed & it seems the computer is more sluggish now. Is it possilbe they changes something in the set up? Before we used High Speed through the phone company. I have Trend Micro Running, Microsoft Antispyware AdAware SE...

View more questions Search