Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ASHASK Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 12:36 AM
    IE: Internet explorer could not find the search page
    Hello,

I have a Dell Laptop with Windows XP installed.
    I was using IE to browse web regularly.

Resently I installed Spyware and also executed - which indicated some infections and I cliked on button to remove.

After this activity I tried to connect to NET from IE - but after few seconds a message appears on screen "Internet explorer could not find the search page" and the NET does not gets connected and gives a PAGE OUT or hangs at the same position.

Can anybody answer me following:
    1. How do I nos solve the problem of IE ?
    2. Is it safe to use Spyware, if yes - what should be the way - of using Spyware and avoiding such problems ?

Thanks for help in advance.

Regards,
    Ash
    free_lo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 01:42 AM
    Normally in the initial settings for IE the provider sets up a search page e.g. Yahoo! Search or Google. This setting is in the registry and not in the settings menu. This setting can be exploited by security attackers to redirect your searches to their site so almost every anti-spyware will try to remove it BUT you are asked to remove it or not. It is Ok.
    Just try to do this

1. Start Regedit
    2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    3. Change the value for Search Page to the URL of the search engine you want to use
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jul 17, 2007, 01:47 AM
    Sorry, just to check... do you mean you downloaded spyware or anti-spyware?

If so, do you remember the name of the program?

There is a HUGE difference!
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 01:59 AM
    If you installed spyware then you are in bit of a pickle but if you installed anti-spyware then you should inform us of what company's anti-spyware you are using!

Jul 17, 2007, 02:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    Sorry, just to check ... do you mean you downloaded spyware or anti-spyware?

If so, do you remember the name of the program?

There is a HUGE difference!
    I already have Spyware Doctor installed some days before - I had installed the same because some days before - I used to get unwanted POP-UPS.
    So I have Spyware Doctor installed and I executed the same.
    Spyware Doctor performed the scan - detected the infected files and then I cleaned up.
    After this I am trying to use IE - which is failing as per explained.

Jul 17, 2007, 02:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by free_lo
    Normally in the initial settings for IE the provider sets up a search page e.g. Yahoo! Search or Google. This setting is in the registry and not in the settings menu. This setting can be exploited by security attackers to redirect your searches to their site so almost every anti-spyware will try to remove it BUT you are asked to remove it or not. It is Ok.
    Just try to do this

1. Start Regedit
    3. Change the value for Search Page to the URL of the search engine you want to use

Thanks for the Feedback, I will try this out and update.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 03:13 AM
    I would also recommend you to install AVG Anti-spyware, which is free and trusted!

Jul 17, 2007, 03:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by free_lo
    Just try to do this

1. Start Regedit
    Hi,

The original value for "Data" string in Internet Explorer was:
    %s - Google Search
    This was not working as stated.

I further changed to : http://www.yahoo.com/search?q=%s
    which is also not working.

Any more Tips ? Any clues?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet Explorer cannot open search page [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Everyone... I have set up 3 computers for Internet and the 3rd one does not work correctly when going out to the Internet. I am able to dial out and connect with my provider (Chilitech) and even get the main page from Chilitech. When I go to click on a link or anything off the main page -...

Internet Explorer Search Bar [ 3 Answers ]

I had some spyware on my computer, so I used Ad-aware to quarantine these files... now my search bar in IE won't work. If I type something in to search, it says "this page cannot be displayed" How would I fix this?

Internet Explorer could not open search page [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can anybody tell me how to get rid of this dirty message "Internet Explorer could not open search page", I am really pissed of with this message, Can anyone help me please Thanks well in advance Andy

No Search for Internet Explorer! [ 5 Answers ]

I canīt access search sites (like www.google.com) from my internet explorer, and some other sites as well (like www.submarino.com.br). I reinstalled the browser already, but I'm still canīt access them. Please, I don't want to format my HD and reinstall XP, someone HELP ME!!

Internet Explorer Home Page [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I log onto to a particular program it automatically changes my Home page on Internet Explorer. Without naming the program I can only mention that It allows me to download music. How can I make my Home Page irreplaceable? MB

View more questions Search