Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Selah Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Fireplace Surround Addition
    Hi,

I would like to build a simple surround for my fireplace, what is the best or simpliest way to create the cap or top. Also, how do I connect the wood frame to the existing brick? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 01:48 PM
    You should not try to use concrete nails for this application. You can drill and use a plastic or lead sleeve that will accept a screw. Any chance you can attach a picture?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Try this site for some ideas. Decorate the Place - Home Most surrounds start with a flat board attached around the perimeter of the fireplace. Then decorative trim is added to build it up and give it dimension. The cement nails will crack a brick or even pop it lose from the mortar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foundation for addition [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning an addition to the back of my house, aprox. 28' x 32'. My current house is built on wood joists and is about 14-16" above grade. I am trying to figure out the best foundation to build with it considering my constraints. FYI, I do plan to permit it and perhaps find an engineer...

New addition on home [ 5 Answers ]

What do I need to know when before I talk to contractors? I am putting on an addition to my ranch style home and I feel like I am clueless. Please help.

Deed addition [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of North Carolina, do spouse automatically share ownership of property owned before the marriage? Is there any advantages to adding said spouse to deed?

Toilet addition [ 5 Answers ]

There supposedly is a device, kind of like a garbage disposer, that allows you to pump the waste from a toilet through a 2-inch drain pipe. What exactly is that thing and how does it work?

View more questions Search