Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twb15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Solid Wood VS Laminate Flooring
    Just purchased a home and want to put wood floorings in. I need to know is laminate a good choice for the flooring or is solid hardwood better. I do have a tight budget and have checked prices. Solid wood with installation does cost a pretty penny. Most people are telling to go with laminate because of the price difference. Not sure I'd be satisfied with the laminate flooring over the long haul. Can anyone offer assistance or advice.

iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 11, 2007, 07:41 AM
    I don't know much about solid hardwood flooring, but I will sing laminate's praises;

I've got laminate flooring throughout in my flat and I've got to say it's a God-send!

I've knocked over masses of food, booze and drink which is easy to clear up and dropped loads of heavy stuff on it which hasn't even marked it, which wouldn't matter anyway because it's cheap and easy to replace!

What's swaying your decision other than price?
    twb15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    I don't know much about solid hardwood flooring, but I will sing laminate's praises;

I've got laminate flooring throughout in my flat and I've got to say it's a God-send!

I've knocked over masses of food, booze and drink which is easy to clear up and dropped loads of heavy stuff on it which hasn't even marked it, which wouldn't matter anyway because it's cheap and easy to replace!

What's swaying your decision other than price?
    Thanks for your quick response. Besides the price, I just don' t like the look of laminate it looks to fake to me. I didn't want to go beyond my budget, but to get the wood I may have to. Still unsure though. :confused:
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 11, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Yeah, I agree with the fake looking thing, but I think it can look in certain spaces.

What size of area are you thinking of doing and will it be separate rooms?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Laminate wood will out last the original finish on hardwood. However, there is some pretty chessy stuff other there that looks bad and sounds funny when you walk on it. If you good laminate don't buy the cheap stuff. Engineered flooring is another option, real hardwood veneer over ply.
    George818 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twb15
    Just purchased a home and want to put wood floorings in. I need to know is laminate a good choice for the flooring or is solid hardwood better. I do have a tight budget and have checked prices. Solid wood with installation does cost a pretty penny. Most people are telling to go with laminate because of the price difference. Not sure I'd be satisfied with the laminate flooring over the long haul. Can anyone offer assistance or advice.

My 2cents is that you figure out what your overall budget for the whole house (interior and exterior) improvements. Figure out what all needs to be done, prioritize this list and put a $$$ number to it. Then I would figure out what would get the biggest return on my limited investment(ROMLI)... i.e. If I spend $1 on improvement will I get $2 or more $$$ on ROMLI when I sell? What if you have terrific floors inside but outside looked like painting or landscaping is needed?
    If you have already thought this out, then here's my thoughts... Besides the price differential & better durability, laminate can be self installed by yourself because most is easy snap and lock into place. If you have messy children and/or a section gets water damaged, one can unsnap and replace sections like puzzles. On the other hand if this is your personal residence and you will be living and entertaining there, solid hardwood flooring is better looking but usually requires professional installation, cost more per sq ft (material&labor) and requires $$ effort to maintain. I believe the price will prevail in the final analysis.:) Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Wood Flooring [ 5 Answers ]

My husband just recently installed laminate wood flooring throughout the house. Can someone please recommend how to clean these floors? Some people have said just spray a little water and damp mop. Can it be cleaned with any kind of cleaner? I just bought some Murphy's Oil for wood floors but on...

Laminate wood Flooring? Which corner to start in? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question. I am about to use wood laminate on an entry way that measures 61" x62". The problem is, I don't know where to start. Should I start on the side by the front door, the corner where the walls meet or on the open side that goes into the living room? Also, the area is a little...

Laminate flooring around a wood stove [ 2 Answers ]

We are installing laminate flooring in our home and are concerned about how to around a wood stove?? If someone knows please answer thank you:

Laminate wood flooring problem [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any solutions for wood laminate flooring that has begun to raise or bubble up? What can I do?

View more questions Search