Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debthepainter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 11:57 AM
    What order should I start tiling
    What order is best to tile a bathroom shower stall and bathroom itself. I am tiling the ceiling in the shower stall. SHould it be floor then walls in the bathroom and ceiling then walls in the shower stall
    Clear-Mind-Web Posts: 16, Reputation: 6

Apr 10, 2007, 10:55 PM
    Do the ceiling first. I also recommend you grout the ceiling before setting the floors and walls, because it will probably be a messy operation.

Then for the walls, start near the floor and go up. Do not start right on the floor. Leave a space between the first row you set and the floor. It is preferable to make the cuts near the floor and the cuts near the ceiling as large as possible (this depends on where you start the first row). You should tack a piece of 1x3 or 1x4 to the wall and tile on that. Make sure you tack the wood onto the wall level. It's a good idea to let the tile set overnight before removing the wood strips.

Once the walls are done except for the section you skipped, tile the floor. Once the floor is in and has had time to setup (usually overnight) finish the last row or 2 on the walls.

When you grout the walls consider covering/masking the floor, especially if you are using different grouts.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower tiling [ 2 Answers ]

If I'm retiling my shower, do I have to replace the pan, or can I just rough up the shower floor tile, and tile right over. I will definitely remove the wall tile, but the pan is fine and a lot of extra work.

Shower tiling [ 1 Answers ]

I'm retiling my shower. Can I tile over the shower floor without removing the tile. I intend to remove the wall tile and replace backerboard, but I don't want to chip up the floor tile and replace the pan. Thanks

Tiling with No Grout [ 1 Answers ]

I have chosen pitted travertine/marble tiles, 4x4, for a kitchen backsplash. The tiles are cut such that they fit together perfectly, and because the surface is slightly "pillowed", the effect of no grout with the tiles placed side to side is absolutely stunning. My installer had me lay out a 3x6...

Tiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? Mud and tape?

Tiling question [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? I plan on tiling to the ceiling to avoid this problem there, but what about the sides?...

View more questions Search