Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newbie123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 11:28 AM
    New Vinyl Tile is squeaking?
    Hi,

I hope someone can educate me on new vinyl flooring.

We are preparing our house to put it on the market and just paid to have new vinyl tile installed in our kitchen and bathroom. The guys came yesterday, and were there until 9:20 last night completing the installation. (They installed new luon and vinyl flooring.) As of this morning when I left the house, the flooring was squeaking in several places. (This was not the case with my old vinyl flooring.) I'm concerned.

Does this mean that there was something wrong with installation, or does it simply take awhile to "set?" If the latter is the case, how long before we're "squeak-free?"

Thanks; I greatly appreciate any info you can provide!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Squeaking generally means movement and rubbing. I am assuming you aren't talking about sqeaking from dragging your shoe, actually noise being caused by up/down pressure on the floor. I would call the install guy back immediately. There isn't a break in period, it should not squeak today. They may be rubbing quarter round or trim

Apr 5, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Thanks for the help. I was afraid of this. I called the company the next morning, and the gentlemen was telling me that it took a while for the glue to set, but he wasn't very convincing. I have not made final payment yet, and he is coming by Saturday to check it out.

I hope that it won't require him ripping up the whole floor and starting over to resolve?
    (Any thoughts?)

Thanks again!

Apr 5, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Yep, hold the check until his glue sets, if ever. It is true that the glue takes quite awhile to set but I doubt that its your issue. Did he install any kind of sub floor or just go down on the old surface and what was the old surface?

Apr 5, 2007, 07:24 AM
    They took up the old stuff and installed new luon and vinyl tile.
    I had this done because I'm putting the house on the market (scheduled for 9 April).
    I'm fearful that this means that they are going to have to take up and re-install, pushing my timeline back even further! However, it must be resolved.

Apr 5, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Worst case scenario, show the home. Not everyone will notice the issue, but if they do, mention the floor was just laid and is being addressed by the installer. You will have lots of time between accepting and offer and closing to complete the fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Squeaking floor [ 3 Answers ]

We had a new bathtub and all new plumbing installed (including new toilet) last March. We then had new flooring installed (glued down and sealed to the tub as normal). We didn't care for the flooring so a month later we got another new one (Tarkett) installed. This is a "floating floor" lino so...

Lenoleum over composition vinyl tile [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put a sheet of lenoleum( 11 ft x 20 ft) over an existing 12in x12in glued( to concrete) composition vinyl tile, the tiles are all in good condition. I saw some lenoleums say installation without adhesive, and talk to the saleperson he said that they all needadhesive or they may get...

A/C Squeaking- Will oil do it? [ 1 Answers ]

My central A/C woke me up because it was sqeaking so loudly. I hit the side of the unit and it got better but started again. I turned it off and took the cover off. It is dusty in there. Can it be oiled so it will stop and I can sleep?

View more questions Search