Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Strange drwall crack pattern
    Our home is 4 years old and I noticed this winter that we have developed some cracks in the drywall around a couple of window frames. It's a very thin hairline crack(almost like just the paint has separated) that extends 1/2 in from the corner of the window and then goes half way down the length of the window(kinda and unside down L shape). Has anyone seen something like this and know what might cause it? Is it poorworksmanship or possible settlement? I would think if it was settlement then the crack would extend all the way to the floor or ceiling.
    Dancing_With_The_Angels Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Mar 30, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mgfarmer
    Our home is 4 years old and I noticed this winter that we have developed some cracks in the drywall around a couple of window frames. Its a very thin hairline crack(almost like just the paint has separated) that extends 1/2 in from the corner of the window and then goes half way down the length of the window(kinda and unside down L shape). Has anyone seen something like this and know what might cause it? Is it poorworksmanship or possible settlement? I would think if it was settlement then the crack would extend all the way to the floor or ceiling.
    I think it could be caused by the change in weather mainly heat differences. Or perhaps swelling caused by eavaporating water.
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Mar 30, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Sounds like the cripple (stud) has shrunk, that would account for the L shaped crack a few inches from the window.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pattern forming. [ 1 Answers ]

I angered somebody on-line last week because I told him, tongue in cheek, to throw away his new Noma thermostat. Are there any contractractors on this site that would install and guarantee a Noma, Lux or Hunter thermostat? Why not? How many posts are there this week about thermostats? What...

Help me before I crack [ 1 Answers ]

OK I know this is not a lot to work with but I heard this song on a classic rock station, you know 70's 80's and 90's anyway the song sort of sounds like a gangster movie its got gun shots, squealin tires, and police sirens but no real lyrics, I believe the dj said it was a song from the band...

Cross stitch pattern... [ 4 Answers ]

:) Hi Im using Adobe and Corel, I wonder if these program can make a cross stitch pattern from any photo I desired...

Child's speech pattern [ 1 Answers ]

Should we be worried that my 2 year old grandson talks about himself in the third person. He doesn't say I anything. He calls himself by name. When you ask him a question (sometimes) if it is not phrased correctly he will not respond. If you ask did he do something it is usually no. If you ask...

View more questions Search