Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laxmasta31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 12:38 PM
    How to manufacture car interior trim
    How do companies produce interior trim (such as wood or carbon fiber) for cars? More specifically, what kinds of machines are necessary, what adhesives and coatings are used, and are the pieces actually solid wood or just a thin layer glued to plastic or metal?

Also, if there are any websites out there for small boutique manufacturers (not huge companies), or sites that show the process step-by-step, it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 01:04 PM
    I don't think I've ever seen mass produced solid wood car trim, its usually custom made from solid wood (of course there are lots of cars with plactic trim painted to look like wood)

For carbon fiber you just need a mould of the part, layers of carbon fibre cloth, lots of epoxy and an oven to bake the pieces in (under pressure) while they harden.

I went to school in aircraft maintenance and we made carbon fibre repair panels so this would be the same thing, the school got the materials from a local supplier of aircraft replacement parts, look in the yellow pages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tricky Door Trim Question [ 2 Answers ]

I need to trim around a door in my basement. Because the door is under where I boxed in around duct work, there isn't enough room to trim around the top. Any suggestions?? Scott

Chair rail trim [ 1 Answers ]

How do I end the trim on an open corner? Straight cut or miter cut?

Title transfer during sale of manufacture home question? [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my wife sold our home in oct of last year 04 and we just received a tax bill for the property taxes.We have not even lived in the home for a year. I am trying to get a hold of the people that sold our home for us but they have not called us back yet. Does anyone know if the people that...

Replacing trim [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing some of the wood trim in my home. Some areas on the sheet rock does not have 2x4 reinforcement to nail to. How would you suggest I install the trim with? It seems that when I use the trim nails they will not hold the wood flush against the sheetrock.

View more questions Search