Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 6, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Wiring a switched GFI
    I'm installing a dedicated circuit for a garbage disposal with an outlet under the sink controlled by a wall switch. Do I run the hot wire to the switch and then to the GFI or should I bring the hot wire to the GFI and run the neutral through the switch?

Or, is there a better way entirely?

Thanks in advance.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 6, 2012, 09:03 AM
    A neutral is NEVER switched.

You can run the feed to the receptacle first and then run the hot up and back to the switch with a switch loop. Or you can feed the switch first then down to the receptacle.

A GFI is not required for this. Are you using one for your own preference?
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 6, 2012, 09:44 AM
    Thanks.

Interesting. I thought a gfi would be needed for what is essentially a plug in appliance in a wet area and since the outlet might later be used by someone else for something else. Is there any reason to prefer a regular outlet other than the cost difference?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 6, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dclynch View Post

Interesting. I thought a gfi would be needed for what is essentially a plug in appliance in a wet area and since the outlet might later be used by someone else for something else.
    In the eyes of the code, and in practice, this is not a wet area. Some may even argue that it is not a damp area.
    Areas of your home are not considered wet or damp in a worst case scenario situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dclynch View Post
    Is there any reason to prefer a regular outlet other than the cost difference?
    Cost and nuisance tripping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Wiring? (just want light to be switched) [ 8 Answers ]

I've got a ceiling fan currently wired as pictured below. The switch on the wall controls power to the entire unit (light and fan). I want the switch to just control the light. I want the fan to be controlled only by the pull-chain. What changes with the wiring would need to be made so this...

New Circuit including Switched GFI outlet [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to run a new circuit from my breaker box to the front of my house to power a an exterior gfi outlet, which I would like to control with a switch, and then continue to power some exterior soffit lights. Running the lines is no problem. What I'm wondering is how do I run the power to...

2 switched Fan/Light bathroom wiring job [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a double switch (2 separate switches in the same box) (ceiling fan-light) in my bathroom Each wiring group from the wall has 2 blacks 2 whites and 2 grounds I have the light working by connecting the 2 blacks (1 per side of switch 2 screws) and wire nutting the two whites...

How to wiring a 3 Way Switched Plug [ 4 Answers ]

I am a first year Apprentice with a Electrical company in my town. So far things have been going very good. Been with these guys for about ten months. Slowly but surely my responsbility is going up. But today I was rough wiring a 2 bedroom suite when I got to the Master bedroom, From the...

Wiring a switched receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to run my pool filter and chlorine generator off the same switched receptacle. My pool filter has a plug which I would like to keep so I can store it over the winter. My chlorine generator is hard wired to it's own circuit. I would like to install a switched receptacle to run my...

View more questions Search