Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 3, 2012, 01:23 PM
    Powder room supply pipes
    I'm doing a rough in for a powder room and am at the point of installing the supply lines. I understand the preferred way to do this is with drop eared els and nipples that will eventually connect to the shutoffs.

I see two issues with this method: 1) how can I be sure the threaded connection to the el doesn't leak after the sheetrock is up and, 2) how can I be sure to get the stop aligned vertically when I'm tightening the final connection?

How about just using copper stub outs and soldering a quarter turn ball valve for the shutoff? There is not much resistance when turning these shutoffs and I'd think the copper pipe would hold up well.

Thanks
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jan 3, 2012, 01:45 PM
    If you are talking about roughing in the water lines for the sink and toilet, rough them in with copper and use compression valves in the vanity or under the sink and toilet. You can get angle or straight compression valves in chrome or brass.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 06:18 PM
    I agree completely with puffmugs. Almost all water stub outs are done is copper and compression stops installed after sheetrock, paint, etc. You rarely see soldered stops these days, at least not from plumbers, and you really never see threaded stub outs for exactly the reason you mentioned. So, to sum up, stub out copper, and use compression stops. Can't go wrong with this method, and don't have to worry about burning anything with the soldered stops. Also, it is much easier to replace a compression stop vs a soldered stop in the event it ever needs to be replaced.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2012, 07:56 AM
    I agree with both experts. Using threaded connections is doing it the hard way. Stub out with 1/2" copper and install compression angle stops,(see image) for your shut offs. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 4, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Thanks to you all. That's what I'll do.

Very helpful for my project.

Oops. Now I'm coming into the home stretch and my wife asks how I'm going to make my copper stub outs match the chrome fixtures.

Maybe I should have mentioned something about a pedestal sink?

Do they make something I can slide over the copper to make it look like chrome?
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 3, 2012, 12:09 PM
    They make what is called a chrome escutcheon or chrome wall plate. Slip escutcheon over copper stub out and cut copper stub out the length for the compression valve to slip on copper pipe flush against the chrome escutcheon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a powder room [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am adding a small powder room under the stairs in an 1890 Victorian home. I have an updated, grounded power outlet about 4 feet from the room that is on the main floor circuit. Can I tap into the power outlet to draw power to the powder room? I will just have one light and one GFI...

Powder Room Outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, Extensive and Extreme DYI renovation on a single family home in NJ. Do I need a dedicated circuit for the outlet in the powder room (toilet and sink only)? room is 3' x 6'. I would prefer to have this outlet be on the same circuit as the living areas around it. Of course if it is...

Powder room vent fan placement [ 2 Answers ]

I want to place a vent fan in my powder room bathroom (1st floor of colonial). One wall outputs to the garage and another wall to the front porch. Is outputting the vent fan to the garage the best placement?

Powder room vent fan [ 5 Answers ]

Previous home owner had a vent fan in a powder room (no shower/bath) that was not ducted anywhere. Went straight into the insulation in the framing. Ive removed all the drywall (found some mold) and am wondering if I should just remove the fan or if I should duct it properly. Im thinking that...

Cat-like smell from the powder room [ 1 Answers ]

We have found that after flushing our powder room toilet, a terrible cat-like smell eminates from this room. We had the wax seal of the toilet changed and the smell didn't go away. I have scoured the tile on the floors and walls with bleach and boiling water. I think every inch of that room has...

View more questions Search