Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    faithmd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Concrete wall, tile glue removal?
    Hello, I live in a concrete block home built in 1952. The walls are all concrete block with a rough finish on them. I believe it is also concrete, or mortar spread on the walls as a finish. I've chipped some if it away when removing my iron tub last year and it looks like it's spread concrete to me. Anyhoos, as so many homes built in that era, it has tile on ALL walls of the bathroom and kitchen. BUT, my tiles are not ceramic, they are PLASTIC! Ewwwww! I have scraped some of them off, but left on the wall behind them is a tan/light brown-colored glue that they used to attach the tiles. They were placed butt up against each other, so there is no grout. Can anyone help me figure out how to get that off? Also on the wall there is about a 3 1/2 foot space of painted area above the tile line, and where the tub was is now exposed concrete block, so that has to be finished off as well. The big question is: What to use to finish the wall after I remove the tiles?

I do not want to do drywall, to frame it in would make my rooms too small. I read somewhere about a concrete-like product that you can use on swimming pools, does anyone know anything about this? Is there anything I can use that will fill in the concrete block area, perhaps OVER the glue from the tiles, and also OVER the painted surface to resurface the whole thing?

Thanks very much!

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Wall Tile - HELP! [ 6 Answers ]

Uh oh! My first attempt at putting tile on a bathroom wall and I may have a problem. Here is the story. I installed Hardibacker board around the tub and green board in the rest of the bath. I taped the seams and used joint compound, then sanded (several times). It looked so good that I taped...

Removing Ceramic Tile from concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am in th process of removing ceramic tile from my back porch. We are having a pool installed and need the slab scraped clean so they can float it install acrylic deck. I was told by the contractor that the surface needed to be as smooth as possible. Removing the tile was not difficult, I...

Grout Tile On Concrete [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I Have Recently Removed Ceramic Tile From A Concrete Floor And Am Left With A Huge Mess Of Grout Absolutely Stuck To The Concrete. I Can No Longer Physically Scrape It... how Can I Remove It Without Damaging The Concrete Floor? I Want To Put Hardwood On It And Need The Surface To Be As...

Removing Hardset Tile Mastic from Concrete Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a hardset ( not glue type) mastic from a large area of concrete floor. The mastic is almost as hard as the concrete and must be ground down in order to lay carpet. I am currently using a floor belt sander with hardest grade paper. It's moving at just about a snails pace. Is...

Glue on subfloor from stick on tile [ 3 Answers ]

I am peeling up the old peel~n~stick tile from our bathroom floor. There is bare wood sub-floor underneath. The glue left is super sticky. I was planning on priming the floor and then laying new peel~n~stick tile. (Its a temporary fix until we have the $ to completely gut the bathroom and...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.