Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jen78200514 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 07:33 PM
    Leaky tub faucet - unsure of brand and how to fix?
    Hi all! I am having a little difficulty with my tub faucet. First off, I am not certain what brand it is because the handle is a generic replacement but I've thought that it might be a Moen. It is a single-handle, pull on/push off, left and right to control temp style with a teardrop shaped handle with the point of the teardrop facing up. I should also note that the house is 30+ years old and we've owned it for about 5 so the faucet could be anywhere from 5 to 30 years old.

My problem is that my faucet has a leak that has been getting progressively worse and is now a very steady drip. I thought this was something I could handle myself and I tried pulling the cartridge out of the wall. What came out was an approx 5 inch long metal bar about the diameter of a pencil that had some o-rings and brass washers on it. I'm thinking that is not a part that is supposed to come out as it had one of those expanding split washers holding it in. I changed the o-rings on the chance it might help and managed to get the rod back in and while everything works, the drip is the same - no improvement.

First question, how can I be sure what type of faucet I have since there are no markings? Second, does the large chrome escutcheon plate from the wall for access or is this something that can be done without removing it?
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Dec 2, 2010, 08:40 AM
    This sounds very much like a Moen in my 24 year old condo except that cartridge was about a 3/4 inch diameter. I was able to get a (Brasscraft) replacement cartridge at the hardware store, which stopped a leak.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2010, 09:12 AM

Can you post some pictures of your faucet and the metal bar that you removed?

Thanks
    John
    jen78200514 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 12:16 AM
    I haven't had much of a chance to work on this again but I intend to try and get the cartridge out again. This time I will take some pictures if that same bar is the only thing I can get out. Do either of you have insight on how I'm supposed to get the cartridge out? Like I said, when I tried it before I just pulled it straight out (with vise grips) and it really didn't seem like what came out was the full cartridge, more like the inner part of it. So I'm wondering if there's some trick you're supposed to do to get the whole thing out, or if - worse - the cartridge is seized in there and will be impossible to get out?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2010, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    What came out was an approx 5 inch long metal bar about the diameter of a pencil that had some o-rings and brass washers on it
    This is a Moen cartridge, (see image) did it look like this? Let me know, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix a leaky pipe that is on my tub [ 6 Answers ]

I removed the shower diverter because the pipe that sticking out from the wall is leaking and it is getting worse and worse, on the end of the pipe is a nipple or something that has a alan wrench screw that is able to be removed but does not help with the pipe. How can I fix the leaky pipe?

How can I fix my leaky tub faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

My tub is still leakying even after I changed the water valves what else can I do ?

Leaky Tub Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Our tub keeps dripping from the faucet. Want is causing this? What is the cheapest fix?

How to fix a leaky kohler faucet? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single handle kohler shower faucet that is leaking. I installed a new mixer cap kit,but it is still leaking. What else might cause this to leak, and how do I fix it?I flushed it as you recommended and it still leaks. I do not know the exact model #,but it is similar to the ...

Leaky tub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a chronic leaky faucet in our deep soaker tub for a long time (over a year). We have been unable to remove the taps successfully and don't own proper tools (pliers, proper wrenches, etc.) so we have decided to call in a professional to change the fixtures altogether (they are...

View more questions Search