Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ColoMan15 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Electrical Question
    Hello everyone. I have a dedicated 15 amp circuit running to 5 recessed lights in my living room all controlled by a single switch. I've run the switch leg up the wall and to the first light, its 14/2. The power is coming into the first light also 14/2. I was wondering how to do this. Can someone explain how I wire everything. What to run between the lights and how to hook everything up? Thanks for the help.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Oct 17, 2010, 12:16 PM
    So you have 14/2 going to the first light to bring the power over from the source and you have another run of 14/2 going over to the switch, right?

Then you do it like this...

Connect the black from the source to the white from the line going to the switch. Wrap that white with black tape so anyone in the future knows it's being fed hot. Connect the other end of the white to the switch. Use the screws, don't back stab. Mark that end of the white with black tape, too. Connect the black at the switch to the other screw and also connect the ground. If it's a metal box, make a pig tail so you can also connect the ground to the box.

In the light fixture, connect the black from the switch cable to the light fixture and to the line going off to the next light.

Connect the white from the power line, the light and the line going off to the next light.

Connect all the ground wires.

Oct 17, 2010, 06:11 PM
    Comment on Bljack's post
    Thanks for the help! My living room has light

Oct 24, 2010, 02:57 PM
    Thanks for your help last time, I'm wondering if you can help me again. I need to add 2 more lights to the circuit in the living room. The 2 lights are each contolled separately by a single pole switch both in a box together.. The 2 lights are connected and 14/3 is run down to the switches. How would I hook the 2 switches up? Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Question [ 3 Answers ]

I have a craftsman lt2000 riding lawn mower.Used the mower to cut grass and turned it off.Blew mower off with blower and now it won't start.Motor will not even turn over.Any suggestions?

Free electrical question [ 2 Answers ]

I have a switch which operates the bottom half of an outlet. There is a 14/3 and a 14/2 wire coming in to the switch. The whites are wire nutted, and the 2 blacks and 1 red are connected to the switch. How can I bypass the powering of the outlet and use this switch to power the light on a newly...

Electrical usage question [ 16 Answers ]

My husband and I lived in our single family house for 25 years and he always complained about our electricity bills but never did anything about them. We're now divorced: I've kept the house, am living here alone and am paying all the bills. I got my first electric bill this month and about had a...

Electrical service question [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased an old house that has a fuse panel with two 60 amp fuses for the main. Is this considered 60 Amp or 120 Amp service? I guess it is 60 Amp per phase but I am not sure of the "Service" terminology. I am looking to upgrade to 200 Amp service as I want to get rid of the boiler and...

Question about an electrical panel [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the plannnig stage of a basement remodel. I checked the breaker box and found that I have 2 circuits currently in the basement. One is for 8 overhead lights and one is for 4 GFI outlets located around the basement. My question is, there are 5 open slots in the panel that I could use...

View more questions Search