Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 16, 2010, 08:25 AM
    I am installing a mini-split system and the ideal location for the external compressor is very close to where the propane line enters my house. At the point it enters the house the propane line has a cutoff valve and a vent. I understand that local code requires the vent to be at least 10' from the compressor. Is there a way to attach a pipe/tube to the vent and extend it beyond the 10' requirement. It doesn't appear as though the vent opening is threaded...

Sorry; should have included this photo in original question.Name:  101_3423.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  106.0 KB
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 08:30 AM

Hi 435 studio...

Some regulators have threads.. some don't. If you look up inside the vent, past the screen do you see some threads? My guess is that this one has no threads... let me know.

You could also relocate the regulator using black iron pipe or soft copper tubing as long as you hang it real well...

Mark
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 16, 2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks; I'm at work now, will check behind the screen when I get home. If it does have threads, what type of connection and pipe should I use?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 11:10 AM

You would use black iron pipe... can purchase precut/prethreaded lengths at any home supply store. You'd also want to purchase some split ring hangers, 3/8" split ring plates and some 3/8" threaded bolts (you'd cut the heads off the bolts and use the rod to connect the split ring hanger to the plate).

Otherwise, you could just repipe that regulator over to a better spot using the same materials... ;)

Keep me posted.

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am switching Propane Gas suppliers and need the underground propane tank removed [ 2 Answers ]

We built our house in 2000 and siged an agreement with AGWAY to supply us Propane and they agreed to provide us an underground tank for free if we purchase gas from them for (1) year. AGWAY is no longer in business and was bought out by SUBURBANE PROPANE. When we questioned SUBURBANE about our...

Venting Soil Line - Can I use 1 vent for all of my venting needs? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am renovating an old house and have decided to add a master bathroom. I currently have 1 (ea) 2 inch vent pipe penetrating the roof line. I'd like to branch off the single pipe and run several vent pipes off the single one mentioned above to vent two bathrooms, the kitchen sink, and...

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

3 phase supply Vs 1Phase Supply [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know difference between 3 phase and 1 phase conceptually

Changed out radiator w/copper supply baseboard w/ pex supply [ 2 Answers ]

And there is no heat in eminating from this baseboard. This was done in one room only and off the original radiator line.the system is all hotwater radiator w/the exception of this one room. We did not change the original heating supply line to this but added valves and then the pex. Seems the hot...

View more questions Search