Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucsa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 07:57 AM
    how do I cut a 5' piece of corian?
    My piece of corian is now 5'x3' I want to cut it dow to 55"x25" It also has wood under the corian. Do I remove the wood or cut right through it? What tools do I need?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 12:02 PM
    I take it this is an already mounted countertop?

If you can get the saw entirely to the edges,I have always used a circular saw with carbide blades,it will cut the Corian and the wood as well(look out for nails,etc)

Use a straight edge for this as there can be quite a bit of vibration due to cutting a material like this(much less if the mounting is even a little loose)

Cleaning the edges can be done with a router(also with carbide tips)and then sanding all the way down to using a scotch pad for a polished finish.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 04:25 PM

When cutting the corian use a 60 tooth carbide blade.cover area to be cut with duct tape. This will protect from chipping. Mount straight edge with clamps to keep it from moving.

Good luck

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 16, 2010, 09:27 PM

I don't think I would use a 60 tooth blade, Chuck. I've always used a 40 tooth. Cut is smooth. I think a 60 tooth could create too much heat, something you have to guard against with Corian.
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 09:37 PM

Hi Harold

Been using 60 tooth for about 6 years. Have not had a problem yet. If they are good blades, they have heat sink cut in them. So do good 40 tooth.

A 40 will work fine, I like the 60 because I do a lot of trim work.

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 17, 2010, 05:03 AM

Good morning Chuck.
    Are you talking about a 60 tooth 7 1/4' circular saw or 10" chop saw. I assume Op would be using a circular saw.

Luca,
    If possible cut from the bottom side, chipping occurs on the side where the saw blade tooth exits the material. Not that much of a problem with Corian.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 06:17 AM

Good morning Harold

Talking about circular saw. My chop saw does not cut that deep. Neither does my radial arm.

Good point to cut from bottom if possible. If not, protect corian by padding saw base with tape or piece of cardboard.

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2010, 07:17 AM

In addition to the great advice already given I lay down a strip of painters tape if I have to cut from the top. Make your mark on the tape and then cut right through it, reduces chipping too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best way to cut corian countertops? [ 7 Answers ]

I am just learning how to work with Corian countertops and I would like to know exactly what I should be doing since I don't have much room for error.

How to cut corian countertop [ 1 Answers ]

I am a do it your selfer recently ordered new appliancies and my new fridge doesn't fit need to take about an inch off both sides that over hangs the cabinets what should I use to cut?

How to bond Corian shelves to Corian shower walls? [ 3 Answers ]

About 4 years ago, I had a Corian shower installed because I preferred it to tile/grout. I thought that the technology allowed for the (essentially) PERMANENT bonding of Corian to Corian so I had 3 small corner shelves installed to hold soap, shampoo, etc. Now, one shelf has fallen off, one is...

How do I cut existing Corian countertop [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a replacement stove top. The opening in the counter is about 3/4 of an inch too small :( How can I cut the existing Corian countertop. My thoughts are: circular saw with a fine tooth blade, such as for cutting plywood. But I think this would generate great amounts of smoke etc. Or,...

Can you cut Corian with a jig saw? [ 7 Answers ]

Want to cut the Corian with a jig saw - will this work? Thanks!

View more questions Search