Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmunyan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2010, 09:33 AM
    how to anchor a starter board to old stucco without cracking the stucco
    I am looking to build a wood porch onto an existing 10' x 20' concrete pad. The house is old stucco with no concrete block behind it. I have been told that by using a starter board on the house, the stucco may crack. Any ideas on how to start the roof of the porch without using a starter board?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 01:07 AM

A starter board is similar to having a ridge board. If u drill through starter board into stucco for your lag bolts will eliminate cracking. Be sure to locate studs before drilling so lag bolts so into the studding for support.

Good luck

Chuck
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

May 8, 2010, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmunyan View Post
    I am looking to build a wood porch onto an existing 10' x 20' concrete pad. The house is old stucco with no concrete block behind it. I have been told that by using a starter board on the house, the stucco may crack. Any ideas on how to start the roof of the porch without using a starter board?
    You can't.

Building codes prohibit attaching structural members over wall finish materials... so you cannot fasten the ledger on top of the stucco at any time.

You must first cut out the stucco and wire lath if any to expose the structural sheathing and only then securely fasten the ledger board to the studs or rim joists.

You must then install flashing up under the stucco and over the top of the ledger board and/or the roof finish material.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2010, 05:42 AM

Manhattan 42 has a point. Checked with friend of mine that is a building inspector. Was told okay in our area to attach to stucco. Have to cut line for flashing.

Would check with building dept in your area to see if okay there.
    Have done 3 roofs without removing stucco and was approved.

Chuck

May 8, 2010, 12:19 PM

The building code used in my State is the same one used in New York: International Residential Code.

IRC prohibits attaching any ledger-type structural member through wall coverings.

Stucco is classified as a wall covering.

In order for loads to be properly transferred from the roof to the wall structure, and the wall structure to the foundation... all structural members, including ledgers, must be 'positively connected' to one another and never through stucco, siding, brick facing nor any other type of wall covering.

The exception is structural wood panel siding (T1-11) if it indeed classed as a structural wood panel and not only as a wall covering material (thinking compressed paper type like LP here.)

If you wish to avoid cutting through the stucco, you can make the roof free standing in the same manner you are required to make a deck free standing if you cannot postively connect the ledger board to the house framing.

You will then only have to flash the roof-wall instersection as previously noted.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2010, 12:55 PM

The only thing I can say to that is that inspector that approved mine may not know what he is doing. This would not be a surprise.

Chuck

May 9, 2010, 06:52 AM

At the very least, adding a ledger board over stucco is poor construction practice...

At the very worst, it is a code violation and a structural defect.

For practical reasons, one shouldn't add any type of structural element over "siding" (whatever type) since it makes it impossible to remove that siding in the future if one wants to change it without also removing the structure attached through it.

Adding the ledger over stucco in reality may never cause any significant problems, and some inspectors might not consider it a big enough problem to be concerned about... given the circumstances... and approve it anyway.

But taking the easy way out simply because it is the easy way out usually comes back to cost more in the long run, and can create additional problems one did not anticipate.

It's not that hard to remove the stucco to attach the ledger to the wood frame.

Chalk line the rectangular cut-out for the ledger and sheathing on the stucco, then use a $5masonry cutting blade on a circular saw to easily cut through it and the wire lath.

Then pry it out.

The ledger needs to be lag bolted to the studs or rim joist just as one would fasten a deck ledger.

It's not that hard and makes for a better job long term if nothing else.

Jmho
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2010, 12:22 PM

I agree that it is not hard to remove stucco or most other types of siding to do job against the sheathing. But following the plans that are approved is required. It is easy enough to p____ off an inspector without changing plans.

Was working on a job were 2 nonstructural studs were put in by mistake. Inspector asked for them to be removed and replaced. Foreman gave him an argument about them. The inspector said "Do it". Foreman told us to put stud along side, nail together and through sheathing. When inspector came back,told foreman "I said remove.That is what I want."

Now the work was double what it would have been if done the first time. From that time on that foreman could not get and inspection unless everything was ready.

I became a foreman for company and if the inspector ask me to do a little extra or make a change. I did it as long as did not cause problem with plans/structure.

I could get inspections done even if that phase was not done because he knew I would complete them correctly anyway. This was the same inspector.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stucco or plaster directly to cement board? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Can I apply stucco or plaster directly to cement board? (ie - without the use of a wire/fiber mesh) If so can I do it in one coat or do I have to use a base then finishing coat? This is in a basement I am finishing. Thank you

New stucco [ 3 Answers ]

We are neophytes attempting to apply stucco to a newly constructed plywood (1/2") sheathed building. We have the tar paper, wire mesh (looks like chicken wire) and furring nails (1-3/4"). My question is how to apply these: Do we staple on the paper? (what over lap?) How do we nail on the wire?-...

Stucco Application [ 2 Answers ]

I have a home built in the late 1960s with stucco with glass blown into it. Is there any way to apply new stucco to the house without removing the old stuff. I'm looking for a more modern/contemporary look. Thanks J

View more questions Search