Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PeeWee57 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 12:16 PM
    Can I remove existing grout?
    I have 6" ceramic tile that I would like to change the color of the grout.
    There is cement board under the ceramic tiles. Can I remove the grout? Skim off part of the grout and regrout? Will the new grout adhere to the existing grout if I do not remove the entire grout?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 12:30 PM

You can remove the grout but it isn't fun. Fein, Dremel, Rockwell and others make a tool that vibrates and the Dremel has a blade made for removing grout. Tool runs about $100 up to $400 and blades aren't cheap, $25. Fein vs. Rockwell vs. Dremel (Multimaster tool) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Oct 14, 2009, 12:43 PM

Is it better to remove the grout entirely or just enough to put another layer overtop of the old one?

Oct 14, 2009, 12:45 PM

Entirely gives a much better crack free grout. You won't get every speck of it but I'd shoot for more than 90%

Oct 14, 2009, 12:46 PM

Thank You,
    Your Awesome !

Oct 14, 2009, 12:48 PM

If you buy one of the tools you can probably be fine with the Dremel for about $00 at Menards. Fein will last way longer but at 4X the cost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using tub & tile caulk over existing new grout in between tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My contractor, has applied CeramaSeal tub & tile Caulk over our new existing grout lines between our 4x4 off white ceramic tiles in our shower floor. The reason he did this is because the no sand alabaster grout dried unevenly in color. Dark and light grout lines. He blames this on the grey...

Regrouting Existing Grout [ 1 Answers ]

I recently redid a bathroom - all but the tile floor. In the process of installing a new tub, I had to replace five tiles. The issue is the grout is close to the old grout (little over 10 years old) but not a perfect match. Can you actually regrout over existing grout without "rotozipping" out...

Remove grout or not? [ 1 Answers ]

I put snap together porcelain tile in my bathroom over a heated floor. With this tile I uses special flexible grout because it's a floating floor. When I bought the grout I was not going to use it for about a week. Asked the guy at Menards and he gave me a mixer (chrome) Problem: When I mixed...

Remove grout from tile [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove Laticrete grout from tiles, followed the instructions and it did not work, it is in all the littlegrooves of the tile, the tile is a course tile, so how do I get it out without damaging the tile? Please help. Thank you Jennifer

View more questions Search