Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lorascot Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Oct 31, 2006, 02:35 AM
    Bad smell from wiring?
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this could be do with wiring but see what you think.

When we use the shower a horrible smell appears. It disappears fairly quickly once the shower is off. This started when we had a new, more powerful shower fitted.

It is not in the bathroom but in the cupboard that houses the shower fuse box and wiring and it seems to come from the floor where the wiring comes up from.

The smell is not from the drain in the bathroom draining the bath doesn't cause this problem.

A plumber had a look and found the floor in the bathroom had rotted beneath the bath, he thought this might cause the smell. The floor has been replaced and the bath thoroughly sealed.

Guess what as soon as we used the shower again the smell came back.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2006, 03:24 AM
    I do not think there is a wiring issue. Try your question at plumbing, I rememeber seeing issues with water giving off an odd odor because of something in the pipes/fittings.

Oct 31, 2006, 03:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    I do not think there is a wiring issue. Try your question at plumbing, I rememeber seeing issues with water giving off an odd odor because of something in the pipes/fittings.

Thanks I will give that a try, nice to hear from New England here in Scotland!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Ok, this shower uses electricity to heat the water as it flows? Was the wiring replaced, or just connected to a new, more powerful heater? Is the wire exposed anywhere you could read on it what size it is? I am not even sure if you call cable suitable for 20 amps 12 gauge. Maybe best to go to fundamentals. Can you feel the wire anywhere? If it gets warm, it is too small for the heater. If it doesn't get warm, likely it has nothing to do with the problem.

Does the drain disappear under the same floor as the wiring? Perhaps something was smeared on the drain pipe that gets warm during a shower.

Nov 1, 2006, 03:26 AM
    Thanks labman,

It is an electric "instant" shower.

I've gone back and checked and the fuse box is getting hot, as is the wiring beside it. Seems like the smell is coming from here. This must need fixing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad smell problem - please help [ 10 Answers ]

:( I feel like crying because we can't get rid of this smell in the house and it is driving us crazy. We have our wedding reception at home in a few weeks time and I am getting really worried that we won't be able to get rid of it before then. It all started 2 or 3 weeks ago... from one day...

Bad Smell in Bedroom - Fishy! [ 17 Answers ]

My 17 yr old sons bedroom has, for the past 2 months, had an awful smell - like strong fish - which really catches the back of your throat! I know most people will say all boys rooms smell - but this is different! It started two months ago - for no apparent reason. His sisters say it is him - he...

Bad smell under house [ 8 Answers ]

I have read a lot of similar questions to mine, but none seem to describe my situation exactly so here goes: I have absolutely no clue about plumbing although I'm beginning to figure out some things. My husband and I bought our first house last year and it's proving to be a lot of work. It's a...

Help! - Bad smell in Kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

We live in a brand new condo (moved in on June 1), and a few days ago I came home to a horrible smell throughout the whole place (seems to be worst in the kitchen). Today I spent hours cleaning in, around, and under the fridge, as well as sniffing around the whole kitchen and I cannot even tell...

Shower Drains Slow/bad smell [ 1 Answers ]

I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This...

View more questions Search