Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggieb45t Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Corian sink crack
    Hello, I have an 8 inch crack in my Corian sink. Water leaks out of it. Can this be repaired without replacing the entire sink?
    gofran78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Of course you may. Just call your DuPont Corian Processor to repair it. Unfortunately I'm from Brazil, otherwise I'd do it for you.

Fernando Raif Cotait
    ::: AVITÁ Design ::: Processador Autorizado DuPont Corian Solid Surface.
    kidolph Posts: 90, Reputation: 12

Jun 1, 2009, 05:03 AM

maggieb45t

Yes they can be repaired.

Call Art Specialties International at 1-800-724-4008. Costs about $30.00

I hope this helps
    Ken
    banjo3 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2009, 07:54 AM
    I hate to show up and be disagreeable but I thought I should reply to this thread. Actually you can not repair a cracked Corian sink. If you contact a Dupont Corian Processor they also will not repair the crack in the sink. The only technique that Dupont approves is an entire sink replacement when a Corian sink is cracked.

maggieb45t had asked this question at another website as well. The answer she got will be helpful to readers here so I am posting the entire thing here as well.
    =================================================

Hello Maggie,
    There are some diy kits that you can find online. I hate them, they do not usually work. I have replaced many Corian sinks that were repaired first with different epoxies and home made remedies. So far I have not seen any of them work.

They are usually ugly and leak anyway. Unfortunately, You will need to have your sink replaced and there is no way around that that I know of. If it is less than 10 years old you may be able to get it replaced under warranty. I would start there. The number to initiate a warranty claim for your sink is 1-800-4CORIAN (1-800-426-7426).

If you can't get it done under warranty and you need to just patch it temporarily you can try this. (This is not pretty and not permanent. Your sink should not be used to hold water but you can at at least run water on that side for handwashing, dish rinsing, etc.) Before you do use it check underneath to see if it leaks a lot, a little, or none at all and choose your sink activities accordingly!

Step 1. With paper towels, dry the crack as good as possible. Do this on the inside of the sink and on the under side of the sink.

Step 2. Apply 100% silicone to the crack on the bottom of the sink. Smear it as as good as possible into the crack with your finger.

Step 3. Once you have smeared it into the crack, squeeze a bead of silicone directly on top of the crack. Do not smooth this out, leave it as it comes out of the applicator (the applicator is either a caulk gun type of tube or a toothpaste type of tube. I prefer the caulk gun type but either one will work.)

Step 4. While the silicone is still fresh place a piece of 2" wide packaging tape or metal foil tape directly on the crack. You may also want to just keep on taping and put a piece to the left and right side of the main center strip of tape for extra protection. Of course be sure they overlap the center piece of tape.

Step 5. On the inside of the sink, smear some silicone on top of the crack and try to get it smeared down into the crack.

Step 6. While the silicone is still fresh, wipe of as much of the overflow silicone from around the crack as you can but leave what is in the actual crack. Do this with alcohol and a rag. Denatured alcohol is what I use but most homeowners just have rubbing alcohol around the house. This will be fine to use.

I hope this helps you. Here are a couple of related links for you to see that may help you understand more about this issue.

The Solid Surface and Stone Countertop Repair Blog: Formica Solid Surface Integral Sink Replacement, Pilot Mountain, NC

The Solid Surface and Stone Countertop Repair Blog: Can a crack in a solid surface sink be repaired?
    kidolph Posts: 90, Reputation: 12

Jun 20, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Banjo3

I know that duPont does not authorize any method of repairing a Corian sink.

However we have supplied a kit for doing just this for 15 years. Hundreds of people have used it and had wonderful results. I have offered the people, at the website to which you refer, a free kit to evaluate. They have not answered.

The system uses the adhesive that duPont labs originally recommended for bonding Corian. It is 3 times as strong as the seam adhesives they currently use. It will fully and permanently repair any fine crack in Corian.

The method you suggested with silicone will work surprisingly well but will not keep the crack from growing. Also it is best practice, with silicone, to leave the bead in place for 48 hours. Then slice it off with a razor. Wiping uncured silicone will tend to pull it from the crack and leave "feathered" edges which will tend to peel causing failure.

I hope this helps
    Ken
    Sea Shells Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2013, 10:05 AM
    I have a cracked Corian sink. It is one piece with the counter top. The cracks are near the garbage disposal and it is broken through that water is leaking into the cabinet. The place is in Big Bear Lake. I would like a referral on someone who can fix it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2013, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Shells View Post
    I have a cracked Corian sink. It is one piece with the counter top. The cracks are near the garbage disposal and it is broken through that water is leaking into the cabinet. The place is in Big Bear Lake. I would like a referral on someone who can fix it.
    For legal purposes we cannot recommend or refer. However, some companies do monitor the threads and may reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair a crack in a Corian sink? [ 8 Answers ]

Construction workers outside my home were using a jackhammer. The vibration caused my sink to crack. The contractor says this is not possible. Is this true? In any case, I now have a crack in my sink. How can I repair the crack without replacing the sink and countertop?:confused:

Corian countertop crack repair [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, Would anyone know where I can get a Corian repair kit and instructions on how to repair the crack in my counter? I would like to repair it myself. Thank you.

Proper Adhesive for Corian Crack Repair. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper adhesive to use for a 12 inch crack in a Corian counter top? It is white.

Corian Crack [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for heat from a laptop to crack a corian counter and should I try to repair or get a pro?

Crack in corian [ 5 Answers ]

We have corian countertops and now have a crack in the sink which is one continuous flow from countertop. All one piece. The crack goes all the way through and it leaks to the underneath. The crack is about 12 inches long. Does anyone know if this can be repaired or will we have to replace...

View more questions Search