Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Insulating a Masonary Block Wall
    Read a recent post that said never to use fiberglass insulation in a basement, too late walls are framed and insulation is in. The walls are cinder block and sealed with drylock. Vapor barrier is facing the warm side. You guys recommend ripping it out and putting foam in?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 08:43 PM

Yes, This is hands down the way to insulate a basement and keep moisture out.

YouTube - Install Rigid Foam Insulation in Basement Video

YouTube - Best way to insulate a basement 800x600

Over the years I have ripped customers old standard insul stud vapor barrier of what you did.
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 01:35 PM

Thanks 21, might as well do it right and I only have to redo two walls.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 02:16 PM

You won't believe how much moisture will be cut down and how much you will save on Heat and Ac. It's a big hit for expanse in the beginning but pays off real quick.

On another post I pushed for spray foam for insul on a cathedral ceiling and the poster said he saved 33% on his heat bill.

Really glad you saw the value here. I tell my customers to take a picture when we do a basement re hap. The picture documents the quality of work and the less to no chance for Mold to show up. It's a good re sale picture keeping the value of the price asked to sell up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulating block walls [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to improve our utility usage in a 1970 block wall constructed school building. What can I use to insulate the inside wall and cover the insulation without using drywall? I want something that looks professional and not some cheap looking finish material that won't hold up.

Cut outs in block wall [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install several doors and windows in a concrete block building on my farm. The walls are 10' tall and only support an asphalt shingled roof. No door or window is more than 3' wide. Will I need to temporarily support the wall to cut out for a 3' opening? Do I need to use angle iron or...

Pouring a concrete wall in front of a damaged cinder block wall [ 1 Answers ]

I need to repair a well house that has buckling cinder block walls. The well is below ground with a shed above it. The room is approximately 9' x 8' and 8' tall with cinder block walls and a concrete floor. The block did not have concrete poured in it when it was built, the blocks are beginning...

What insulation do you put between the cement board and the masonary wall [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a new bathroom where the tub is on an exterior wall. The wall is masonary and I will be using cement board. However, what do I use between the cement board and the masonary wall. Also, is it o.k to use regular drywall in the other walls in the bathroom, or should I use a special...

Insulating 'Sears' type house Floor/wall/attic [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning renovations for my house which I am told is a 1948 'Sears' type house 1.5 stories, original wood siding, now with metal siding. Thick plaster walls with no insulation. Attic has insulation up to the top of joist. Floors have no insulation. Floors are cold on feet. Duct work only...

View more questions Search