Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bev2201 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Cracks in walls
    Hi, everyone. Lately I have had cracks in the walls of my bedroom. They begin at the ceiling and slant down to the floor. There are 2 of them. What causes this and how do I fix it? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 10:09 AM

Is the house drywall and are there any cracks radiating from door and window frames?

Apr 16, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Yes, I believe the house is dry wall. The cracks do go above and below the two bedroom windows. The house is 45 years old and this part of the house is over a crawl space.

Apr 16, 2009, 10:57 AM

Cracks in drywall aren't uncommon. Drywall has very little structural strength and your home actually moves. Your foundation settles and even can have seaonal chnages from the earh drying, freezing and getting wet. I would not be concerned unless you start seeing windows and doors tha aren't operational. You can apply a special woven patch or just use fiberglass drywall tape to cover the crack. Then apply 2-3 thin coats f drywall compund and feather/sand.

Apr 16, 2009, 11:06 AM
    That's great! I'm planning on painting the inside walls this summer anyway so we'll just do that before we paint them.

Thanks so much for your help. I just love this web site!! I've been a widow for 25 years and it sames me a lot of money from people who like to make a big deal out of nothing and charge you for it!! My sons are now grown up and live in other cities and they do come home to help when they can but it's nice to know it isn't a huge project for when they do come home.

Thanks again!!

Apr 16, 2009, 11:19 AM

There are several experts on this site that can offer help on a thousand topics, I stick mostly to home repair since retiring.

Apr 16, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Well, it's great to have the help of someone with experience and the time to do it. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Masonry cracks [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had an addition completed to my house. Now some six moths later I observe a fine hair line crack along the full length ( approx 7 ft) of the joining of the old and new masonry. The crack is fairly visible on the inside and slightly visible on the outside. How can the crack be repaired...

Cracks in Asphalt [ 3 Answers ]

My driveway was asphalt paved about 15 years ago, and never resealed. It is now starting to crack in places, ant hills coming through, etc. Is it too late to use a sealer now, and do I need to call a company to come and put another layer on, or are there available products to seal old driveways...

Cracks in brick [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and have a concern about some cracks I have seen in our bricks. We have a split foyer home so the top half of the house is siding and the bottom half is brick. I have noticed that several bricks have a small hairline crack down the middle. The crack is only in an individual...

Cracks In Walls [ 5 Answers ]

I been noticing in my drywall long cracks can someone tell me what can that be.

Hot tub superficial cracks [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a home with a hot tub. It seems to work OK, but someone has painted a whitish film onto about a third of the tub. We noticed that this section seems to have tiny superficial cracks in it. I'm guessing it was exposed to too much sunlight. The whitish stuff is...

View more questions Search