Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adin Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 10:30 AM
    Attempting to install ceiling fan in older house
    I'm attempting to install a Hampton Bay 42" ceiling fan but I'm having some weirdness with the house wires. House wires are:

2 white (attached to current light fixture)
    1 red (attached to current light fixture)
    2 black (capped off)

The ceiling fan has the following wires:

1 black (fan motor)
    1 blue (light)
    1 white (neutral)
    1 green (ground)

Not sure what connects where. Any help?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2006, 11:50 AM
    Try this:

2 white - fan white
    1 red - fan blue
    2 black - fan black

This way, your fan light will be controlled by the wall switch and your fan will be controlled by the pullchain. If you want both the fan and light controlled by the same wall switch, try:

2 white - fan white
    1 red - fan blue AND black

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

Jul 31, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Thanks for the info! Now I've got another problem!

So I installed as per the first setup and the fan works brilliantly. The only problem is now half of the house isn't working. One side outlet, washroom, and half of the next room do not work.

I'm thinking it's the black wire that's causing the issue since it's the only thing that wasn't connect to the previous light fixture?

Any thoughts? Need to fix this tonight!
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Either one of your blacks or one of your whites isn't connected. Make sure all three blacks and all three whites are connected. Sometimes they will look connected but are actually loose inside the wire nut.

Jul 31, 2006, 12:46 PM
    All right, I will try that tonight. Thanks again!

Aug 1, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Cool. So I tried it last night (after taking the entire ceiling fan down and reinstalling it again!) and now everything is working just fine. It was indeed the white wires that were not connected properly in the wire nut.

Thanks for all your help!
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 08:49 AM
    Glad you got it working

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter Bathroom Fan/Light question (older house) [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a new fan/light for my master bathroom, and was attempting to install it when I ran into a snag... The wiring described in the manual is black/white wires in the ceiling to black/white wires in the unit, etc, but the reality is that I have one red, one yellow, and one black wire in...

Ceiling fan install [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hampton bay ceiling fan (PortlandII) that come with a down rod for installation. Is it possible to install w/o the rod? I want it flush with the ceiling. Tx.

Ceiling Fan Install [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to install a ceiling fan in a bedroom but there is no existing fixture. I'm confident I can get the fan mounted but I'm not sure about the wiring. There is a wall switch that controls the top receptical of a double receptical about 3' from the switch. I have no strong preferrence...

Replacing shower in older house [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of replacing a shower stall in an upstairs bathroom. The problem is that my drain line for the shower is only 1 1/2" rather than 2" as is apparently the standard and size of all drains that I have seen. There was an old shower stall there but the drain leaked horribly and...

View more questions Search