Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heathro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Leak under Patio Door
    We recently installed French Patio Doors and when it rains it leaks under the corners of each side of the door. The water comes in and tends to run from the corners of the door down the side of the wall. At this time, it has not been leaking heavily but there is tile on the floor inside the house where the leak is coming in. We tried sealant outside and inside but that does not seem to be resolving the problem. Do you think we need to contact a Door and Window company? Does anyone know what I should do next.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Dec 4, 2008, 12:03 PM

I am having a hard time picturing where the leak is from your description. I don't understadn how it can leak under the door, and then run down the side of the wall.

However, the easiest thing to do is call back whoever installed them. They should fix them for free, as they obviously were installed incorrectly. Doors should not leak.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 12:32 PM

I think the poster did the installation.If so,did you install any flashing around the top of the door frame?

Leaks like this occur from high to low,flashing or a seal open on the top will allow the water to flow down the inside of the frame and into the corners.

Let us know,

KBC
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 5, 2008, 04:54 PM

Heathro, do those frenchies open out or in? Also, is there no overhang above the door unit?
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Dec 6, 2008, 08:11 AM
    I agree the flashing should be checked. If the door is on grade the water could just seep in.
    You may have a issue with the slope of exterior surfaces
    A sealant should be used under the threshold at time of installation:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak around Dishwasher door [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Quiet Wash Plus that is about 6 years old. Model # DU920PFGQ3. Have had no problems until this week. It started leaking around the bottom of the door. It's only a drip but I can't see a way to stop it. Any Ideas? Thanks

Shower door leak [ 4 Answers ]

I installed a new shower door (stall shower) and no matter how much I caulk it, it leaks on the left hand side bottom (facing the outside of the door). I took it down and installed it again but it still leaks. What can I do or what is the problem?

Patio Door Replacements by GAPCO [ 6 Answers ]

Have sliding patio door gone bad and would like to replace it with like door but cannot find any info on GAPCO doors. I did find the company on the web but the phone number did not work. Does anyone know anything about them or if they are still in business? Also is there any other doors that would...

Basement leak due to new agg patio [ 1 Answers ]

I had an aggregate patio poured directly up against my brick house. During a heavy rain I found water in my basement. I traced the leak to an area where there is an approx. 1/2 - 1" gap between the expansion paper and the brick wall. This gap is approximately 6" long. The water puddles there...

Standing Shower Door Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a standing shower door with brass frame which is leaking at the bottom and left side facing outside the door. Is there a way to adjust the door? Any suggestions? Angel

View more questions Search