Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mega4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2006, 01:37 AM
    Mishap in replacing supply valve under sink
    I was replacing the supply valves under my new bathroom sink as the old ones had old fashioned metal connectors that wouldn't work.
    The old supply valves had a soldered on metal pipe right behind the knob, and I now realize (too late) that that was what I needed to unscrew (probably by cutting off the metal supply line to allow it to rotate). Instead, I turned a larger nut behind that, and directly in front of the flange against the wall. This turned seemingly forever, and once I realized it wasn't coming off (but was somehow coming out from the wall) I noticed that the pipe behind it seemed to have no threads. I started to get nervous that perhaps I was unscrewing a pipe deep inside the wall, so I started to turn the nut back in a clockwise direction (again, seemingly forever) but it never went back towards the edge of the flange.
    Eventually I started to get a drip from this nut (just slight as the water for the house was turned off), and I found that at a particular position, this was minimized. A little bit clockwise and the leak became really bad, and the same if I went counter-clockwise.
    I now have the water for the house back on, and a slow drip from this nut. I'm pretty nervous that something will give way, and I'll have a flood on my hands.
    What have I done, and how can it be repaired?
    Sorry this was so long, and hopefully, my description was clear- it's hard to describe without a diagram, but I'm wondering if I'll need to call in a professional to solder this fitting or what.
    Thanks so much for any help that can be offered!
    Andy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Is this the angle stop that you're describing?
    mega4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Here is a picture. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem was. Because the replacement simply screwed on, I assumed that was how the old one worked. After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion that I was dealing with a compression fitting, and needed to unscrew the back nut from the rest of the valve. It appears I haven't damaged the copper pipe below and can still do this once I get the PROPER part.
    Does this seem to be correct?
    Thanks,
    Andy

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 30, 2006, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mega4
    Here is a picture. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem was. Because the replacement simply screwed on, I assumed that was how the old one worked. After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion that I was dealing with a compression fitting, and needed to unscrew the back nut from the rest of the valve. It appears I haven't damaged the copper pipe below and can still do this once I get the PROPER part.
    Does this seem to be correct?
    Thanks,
    Andy

When you replace a compression stop you don't remove the old compression nut or the ferrule. You use them to install the new stop. Done correctly there should be no leaks and should be less then a 5 minute job. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water supply valve leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Friends- I asked about water supply valve leaking a couple of weeks ago. Just got to repairing it. With some difficulty I got the packing around the stem and wonder of wonders the valve does not leak. Thank you. However, when I turned on the water supply to the house (There was no other turn...

Water supply valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Friends- An indoor water supply valve to an outdoor spicket is leaking around the base of the stem when I open the valve to use the outdoor faucet. Is it most likely from a deteriorated washer or O-ring? Is this corrected by turning off the house water supply, opening the outdoor faucet to...

Replacing Sink Base, need a double sink? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I just bought my first condo, and immediately changed the appliances (my fridge is now larger than the previous one at 30 inches wide (normal I know). I am not replacing the cabinets. I have limited space on one wall, so I need to DOWNGRADE from a 36 inch SINK BASE to a 33 inch SINK BASE....

Replacing Toilet's Water Supply Line [ 9 Answers ]

My house was built in 1979. I have a leak in the water supply line connecting from the turn-off valve down by the baseboard to the tank. I just replaced the guts of the toilet and when I got ready to turn the water back on, the bendable line was leaking. Evidently the line was bent one too many...

Supply valve replacement [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove the nut and compression fitting on a sink supply valve?

View more questions Search