Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 1, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Straight ceiling cracks
    Hi-

I have a finished ceiling - it's drywall - that has two straight hairline cracks in it. The cracks begin at the corners of walls and are nearly completely straight. One is about 10' long - the other is the width of the hallway - about three feet long.

Again, they both start at the corner of a wall and go directly straight across to the opposite wall. Neither is more than the width of a knife blade. I pulled up the carpet below both cracks - there's no foundation damage - no cracking or anything - and I checked for several feet on both sides of each crack. These are interior walls on a slab-on-grade foundation in San Antonio, Texas.

Now for my questions:

Is this a big deal?

Is it possible that the contract just did a poor job on the tape and float work?

What's the best way to repair these and make them go away for good?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Drive drywall screws on both sides of crack about every foot, sink screws below surface but do not break paper. Tape and finish with joint compound. Just cracks that happens sometimes. May be that drywall hanger did not drive enough nails. Not to worry.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 1, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Great!

That's more or less what I did. I sanded down the cracks with my oscillating sander and some drywall sandpaper. I then slapped a good amount of Dap's "Crackshot" spackling compound on top of that area. This was followed by application of paper drywall tape, which was pressed onto the spackling compound and then smoothed.

The stuff is drying right now... it's taking a while, but I chalk that up to using a higher quality spackling compound... and then I'll skim it with patching plaster when it is all done. A bit more sanding and paint to match will follow.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Forget the spackling. To hard to sand. Just top or skim coat with drywall mud (joint compound). Feather out about 5" on each side. Sand lightly. Can be sanded with large wet sponge to avoid dust if you want to. Takes longer but you don't have the dust. Squeese out and rinse sponge often.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
    STG - Most often these cracks that are not related to foundation problems is caused by the movement of the materials, what I am talking about is ;; All materials will ( EXPAND AND CONTRACT due to temperature changes;; say you have had a hot day , that night you hear , moning and poping,and souynds like something cracking , that is caused by what I said above about TEMPTURE CHANGES:: And sometimes it leaves its calling card - cracks ECT. > Hk. Gave you some good advise, AND I also recommend that you use the ( JOINT COMPOUND< WHEN ever I seen someone use the { SPACKLING< IT IS VERY HARD TO COVER UP WITH PAINT <IT WILL LEAVE A SPOT THAT IS PRETTY GLAREY & SHINNY, More so the rest of the paint on the ceiling or walls ;;; GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hide cracks [ 2 Answers ]

I moved a frameless door over 2 1/2" in kitchen to have room for large refrige.now I can't get the dry wall to look smooth.what can I do to hide cracks?

Why do straight women fool around with straight women: An open discussion. [ 55 Answers ]

Ever wondered why straight women fool around with other straight (or gay) women? Ever tried it? Ever regretted it? Thoughts?

Foundation cracks [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently removed all carpet from my home and I am preparing to install ceramic tile on my concrete slab. In removing my carpet I have found several hairline cracks, I have read this is normal but I am concerned with the location of these cracks. One crack is in the center of my house that...

Repairing ceiling cracks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3-level house and on the middle level I am getting hairline cracks in the ceiling just in the kitchen and was wondering what the easiest way to fix them myself would be. It is a drywall ceiling and we just moved into the house. It is only 7 years old and I have no clue whether this is...

Cracks where ceiling meets wall [ 4 Answers ]

I moved in 30 years ole house 4 years ago. When I moved in, the house was newly painted. Now I found cracks on paint everywhere. I don't worry about them 'cause it's just cosmetic. However, there's a long line of crack where ceiling meets wall in all three bedrooms upstairs. It's like...

View more questions Search