Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 3, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Wood paneling
    I just bought a house with ugly brown wood panneling :( For a cost effective solution (for now) instead of ripping it down, can we paint it? How about white washing it? Would white washing it make it look more like birch? We have the northwoods theme going on so that might work. ANy advice would be much appreciated!! :)
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Apr 3, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Scuff it up, prime it up, and paint it up
    pmed70 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 08:28 PM
    I have a simpler way of painting paneling there is a primer specifically for paneling that requires no pre sanding, it applies with a brush or roller and provides a surface for your paint to adhere to I believe it is called "liquid Sand"
    Hope this helps, in reference to white washing that I don't know
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 09:19 PM
    Our basement has some dark panels in a hallway and landing. Previous owners painted wout priming. You can strip the paint off with a rough edge easily. Id prime for sure unless you find another product that is made for panels.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2006, 10:03 PM
    No one asked, but wall paper is always a nice choice also, and it don't look like painted paneling when you are done.
    TPedro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 11:53 AM
    In our old house we had wood paneling in the diningroom of all places, not quite the look we were looking for. We found a wallpaper that can cover paneling, brick and other hard to cover surfaces. It went up pretty easy and then we just painted over it. After a few times painting you could see the grain of the paneling but it looked really nice. I ended up painting it several times in 10 years and as far as I know it's still going strong. We found it at Menards. Good luck.:)
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 29, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    I just bought a house with ugly brown wood panneling :( For a cost effective solution (for now) instead of ripping it down, can we paint it? How about white washing it? Would white washing it make it look more like birch? We have the northwoods theme going on so that might work. ANy advice would be much appreciated!!! :)
    Thank you all for your advice, I haven't been on here in a while to respond, but we did end up just painting it, and it looks great! Thanks for all of your great tips!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paneling a bathroom.. need help [ 1 Answers ]

Do I panel before or after my sink tub and shower get installed?thanks

How to stain wood? [ 2 Answers ]

My question is simple, I believe. What is the proper way or technique in staining on wood. I have kitchen cabinets, doors, and trim that I would like to stain. American Cherry stain is what I have, and I am putting it on pine, popular wood. I know I need foam brushes and all that LOL. I think I...

Wood add-on furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently installed a wood add-on furnace to my oil furnace. The way it works is a trunk line comes from oil furnace plenum(heat) to bottom of wood add-on, then all duct work for house is connected to plenum on wood add-on. The problem I'm having is getting the wiring for wood add-on...

Painting Paneling [ 4 Answers ]

I have very dark paneling I want to paint, am not sure what paint to use or how to prime it. Also can I make it look less like paneling once I paint it? Thank you

Paneling Seam Tape [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up some new paneling and most of it looks really good, but there are a few seams that show up. My brother told me about using seam tape that matches my paneling, I cannot find this, Lowe's & home depot thought I was on drugs when I asked. Can any one point me to a website or a store that...

View more questions Search