Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tav Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Need a faster way to paint baseboards and trim
    I do not like the time involved at using "miles" of painter's masking tape to cover walls when painting trim and especially baseboards. Yet, I like a "razor" sharp line to demarcate the two areas. What are some easier, faster methods? Use of a barrier? Just be steady with a good brush and cut in slow or fast? Any tips will be appreciated.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

May 29, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Hey tav good to see you again. For my cut in work I worry more about the brush and a steady hand than anything else. The only time I tape trim is if Im doing doors with glass or intricate windows for standard base I recommend a good chisel edge brush (I like a 2 inch) and just keep your hand steady and work at the speed your comfortable with. If you really like the sharp edge I can't think of a better way than tape though. Using a barrier is okay but for me its not must faster than taping. Post back if I missed anything. GOOD LUCK, AC
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 09:48 PM
    I saw this at Lowe's, I think. Amazon.com: 3M Hand-Masker 10.8-by-9-by-3.6-Inch Masking Tape Film Dispenser #M3000: Home Improvement

It applies both film and tape at the same time. In general, you'll mask faster if using a dispenser even if it's tape only. I didn't get it.

I'm painting right now too. I masked a border with post-it tape because I didn't want to risk any damage to a paper border. I can see where gizmos such as the masker would save time. I had no trouble using Post-it tape, 1" wide.

I do have very steady hands and can paint with a brush in my left or my right. When it was uncomfortable using my right, I used my left. No problem. When I was doing trim around the windows, I used a 3/8" artist's brush to get the edges and then a 1-1/4 brush. If I mess up using latex paint, I have a wet rag handy.

I just finished the ceiling and it looks gorgeous. I never painted one before. I used a short nap roller and a teflon rolling pan. Found out that TSP does an excellent job of cleaning up Latex implements.

Used my new Multimaster and a Bosch finishing sander with 80, 120 and 320 grit and MH Ready Patch. I really didn't have the lighting I needed, so I had some troubles. I also had to deal with a small water stained area.

Found a cute little edging tool called the Edge Rite Trim Pad (www.quali-techmfg.com) from Home Depot that made doing the ceiling edging a snap.

The walls are another problem. Nail marks and two 1' long cracks in the drywall. Yep, I taped them.

While I'm at it, I'll install a low voltage box for phone and TV etc. and tamper-proof duplex Decora receptacles for the 4 non-grounded outlets.

A lot of hurry and wait stuff.

Ac: Corrolary:

If you can't find the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to do it over.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 30, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Try a 12" mud knife against the wall instead of tape, just be sure to have a wet rag handy so you can wipe it or it will smear paint.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 03:43 PM
    I have used a mud knife and a tape dispensor but neither gives me better results than a steady hand. If you use a chisel end brush and know how to angle the brush you can get a good looking line. The knife and tape work best if the surfaces are glass smooth, I haven't seen many glass smooth walls in the home I've worked on. I am not saying this advice to use these products was not accurate but a good steady hand is good for most painters.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 30, 2008, 03:47 PM
    I helped a friend do her house, we spent at least three hours taping and then used a sprayer... that took 30 minutes...
    stp70 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 06:57 PM
    I have used the "accubrush" and it does the best for me because it does very straight & accurrate lines when used against the trim and windows and also the ceiling to the walls. It's an excellent tool to use if you don't exactly have steady hands. It bassically does the painting for you. I found a cheaper version of it @ home depot and its called "sure line" and those go for about $5.00-$6.00 plus extra rollers, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wallpaer & baseboards [ 1 Answers ]

Is it best to install wallpaper before or after installing baseboards?

Installing new Baseboards [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing old BB with new 3 1/4" x 9/16" BB. Walls are drywall with metal studs and concrete floor covered carpet. What is the best size brad or finish nail to use. Will screw the scarf joints into the studs. Thanks in advance.

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Replacing baseboards [ 1 Answers ]

I have just purchased a new home and I'm refinishing all the rooms with new sheetrock, flooring etc. I would like to replace the baseboard heating because the fins are all bent up and the covers have many layers of paint on them. My question is how do I release the water from the system so I can...

View more questions Search