Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrswgraham Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 11:10 PM
    Wet spots in the living room carpet
    We're renting a 2-level townhome and have been here just under a year. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a wet spot on the livingroom carpet about the size of a dinner plate. The spot was about a foot away from the wall where the breakfast bar and kitchen sink is located. I assumed it was a spill and tried to dry.

Days later it was completely soaked again. I called the owner of the home and he insisted it was condensation from the air conditioner which I thought was odd. He instructed me to pour Liquid Plumber down a pipe leading from the A/C unit (next to the hot water heater) going into the floor. I did it twice as he instructed and waited a few days. The spot had gotten bigger and I also noticed wet spots where each of the barstools stood.

I called the owner again and asked if we should contact a plumber at this point. Once again he insisted it was the A/C unit and asked me to try professional strength Liquid Plumber. (By the way, I'm guessing most of his reluctance to call a plumber in stemmed from the fact that we have a $200 deductible on major repairs and he pays the rest). I explained to him that in addition to the original spot and the smaller spots from the barstools, there were also two more large spots at this point - each at opposite ends of the loveseat (one about two feet from the original spot and the other about six feet from the original spot). I tried the Liquid Plumber again and the wet spots are still there.

Any ideas on the cause/source of this? What type of repair/costs might we be looking at? With this being in the living room how disruptive or inconvenient might the repair be? :confused:
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Not sure about the costs, but it sounds like the sink is leaking from a drain pipe that is located under the floor or the pipes that lead to the sink. Are these spots in a linear pattern, that would be a perfect indication that the pipe is maybe old and coming apart at the joints or something. Also the pipes could be leaking, and the water is trailing down the pipe to other areas.

Try not using this sink for a few days and see if this resolves the problem, if so then call a plumber to look at the drain pipes. If not, then it is coming from the pipes going TO the sink.

Costs would depend on the labor/hr, the materials needed to fix it, and any other charges that are thrown in. Call around to see who is cheaper in your area. And if it is the pipes, they would probably have to pull up a few pieces of the flooring to get to them, not sure though, but it seems logical. It would probably cause a bit of a hassle while they are doing all of this.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 27, 2008, 05:20 AM
    The first thing that must be done is to ascertain exactly what the leak is a drainage leak or a pressure leak. My bet's on door number two. Now for a little more information. Is the leak under a slab? Is the wetspot hpt or cold? Does your unit have its own water meter? How old is your building and what are your water pipes made of? Answer me and I'll answer you. Regards, Tom

May 27, 2008, 02:25 PM
    The water is cold. I don't know if it's under a slab or not. How can I tell? Is that typical for 2-level townhouses? We have our own water meter. The home was built in 1985. I have no idea what the pipes are made of.:confused:
    Eternal Plumber

May 27, 2008, 03:23 PM
    OK, Are you on a slab or do youhave a basement or crawl space? Look at the water pipes that come out of the wall. Are they copper, galvanized or plastic? How old is your unit? Work with me here and we'll get to the bottom of your problem although it shouldn't be your problem but your landlords. Regards, Tom

May 27, 2008, 05:13 PM
    There's no basement or crawlspace so we most likely are on a slab. The pipes that I can clearly in the laundry area in the kitchen are copper. However the pipes under the kitchen sink might be galvanized (definitely not copper). The house is 23 years old.
    megchamness Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Did you ever find out what this was? I live in the same kind of unit as you and am having the same issue the floor is wet in living room don't know what it is coming from, thanks Megan
    poohsac1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Can continuous moisture in the unit cause any illness to me and my family?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 11, 2013, 06:35 AM
    Can continuous moisture in the unit cause any illness to me and my family?
    [/QUOTE]
    Yes! Moisture causes mold and that's not good for your family's health.
    If you tell us your problem we can help. Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Decorating a living room [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I currently moved into my first apartment. The living room walls are pale yellow, the carpet is a plush dark green. I need some help with colors and ideas for decorating it, inclusing furniture suggestions. I am completely clueless right now. Thanks a bunch!! :)

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

Leaking living room [ 2 Answers ]

Every time there is a heavy rain water comes up through the floor against one wall. I also have a problem with standing water on half of my yard. Are these connected or 2 different problems. Yes, I have a french drain

Carpet spots [ 4 Answers ]

Lately our carpet has developed these spots about dime sized all over the living room. We thought they were spills from our 1 yr old but they keep multiplying without cause. We think it might be mold but we are not sure. Has anyone seen this and what should we do? We are putting in laminate...

View more questions Search