Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    takabanana Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Finishing Basement: Laminate Flooring and Drywall
    Finishing Basement: Laminate Flooring and Drywall

I'm trying to finish my basement, and had a few questions:

1. I've narrowed down my choice of flooring to be Laminate Flooring (prob get them from SAMs). If I am laying it on top of the concrete slab, can I just lay down a vapor barrier first, then install the laminate on top of that? Anything else? I did not want to make the layer below the laminate too thick because I did not want to lose much height, and I also wanted to keep costs down.

2. The basement is currently just framed out. Which comes first: Installing Drywall on the walls, or installing the flooring (Laminate)? My current assumption is Drywall, Flooring, and then the trim/molding. If so, do I install the Drywall straight down to the floor on the framings, or put some spacing between the floor and the bottom edge of the drywall? How much?

FYI, I did the moisture test: taped pieces of aluminum foil on the floor and on the walls for 48 hours, and found no moisture under them. But I did get some mildew on the underside of my ping-pong table and mold/mildew on fabrics of things left in the unfinished basement (i.e. baby carrier) over 2 years. Since then, I have insulated all the poured concrete walls (3/4 of the perimeter of the basement) with Formular 150s, and 2x4 framing in front of them. I think the vapor barrier on the floor is enough?

Thanks for any input.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 08:43 PM
    1. You do not lay laminate on concrete or other sub floors without first laying down the manufacturers foam pad. The instructions will tell you if their pad qualifies as a vapor barrier as weel as a pad. You should also by a shimming kit since no concrete floor is truly flat. If you go really cheap with this flooring material you will soon be very dissatisfied.
    2. "assumption is Drywall, Flooring, and then the trim/molding" you are correct if you also assume we knew you meant framing the studs first. Do not allow plain white wood 2x4 to be your floor plate, you must use pressure treated lumber. Drywall sits up 1/4" above floor. You might consider paperless drywall for a basement, it resists mold very well.

I have never used aluminim foil for a moisture test, I use plastic but aluminim sounds like it would work. The mold on the bottom side of the table is tell you the truth over the long haul, you have moisture.
    takabanana Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    1. You do not lay laminate on concrete or other sub floors without first laying down the manufacturers foam pad. The instructions will tell you if their pad qualifies as a vapor barrier as weel as a pad. You should also by a shimming kit since no concrete floor is truely flat. If you go really cheap with this flooring material you will soon be very dissatisfied.
    2. "assumption is Drywall, Flooring, and then the trim/molding" you are correct if you also assume we knew you meant framing the studs first. Do not allow plain white wood 2x4 to be your floor plate, you must use pressure treated lumber. Drywall sits up 1/4" above floor. You might consider paperless drywall for a basement, it resists mold very well.

I have never used aluminim foil for a moisture test, I use plastic but aluminim sounds like it would work. The mold on the bottom side of the table is tell you the truth over the long haul, you have moisture.
    1. They have 2mm foam underlayment attached on the bottom of them already. Here are a few I am looking at:
    Sam's Club - Living Laminate Flooring - Raven Oak - 36 pk.
    Sam's Club - Lock 'n Seal Premium - Amber Oak - 36 pk.
    Sam's Club - Lock 'n Seal Premium - Brazilian Cherry - 30 pk.
    I've read in many places that you can use poly moisture barrier under the foam underlayment (in my case, already part of the laminate) directly on top of the foundation. Was just checking to see if that was the case. Can I get a shimming kit at Home Depot or Lowe's? What is it, just a set of really thin wood (like when you install Doors), or is it concrete? I can't seem to find it.

2. Yes - the stud framing is already done throughout the basement. OK, so Drywall first on the framing before doing the flooring; that's what I thought.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Looks like you have a pre-installed foam pad so that takes care of that, not all laminate has this pre-installed. Glanced over their literature and did not readily find the answer to does it qualify as a moisture barrier, probably does but read their installer guide further. Shim kits for laminate are not wood or concrete, generally a hard plastic. They should be in both stores, ask the clerk because they may be around the corner of an end cap.
    mike jones 1269 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Good luck with that product like they say you get what you pay for... I had a customer that called me and ask me to install his own flooring and when I got there it was sams laminate and I found that it was very cheep and also wanted to seperrate at the joints before we even got done installing it. If your dead set on this flooring then I would recommend glueing the joints also. Lowe's and depot both sell laminate glue and a moisture barrier would not hurt. You can purchase a construction grade 6 mill. At both stores also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing drywall against a shower surround [ 15 Answers ]

What is the best method for finishing the drywall edges when placing them over the panels of a 3-piece, pre-fab shower surround unit. I know caulk is an option but it's 5/8" greenboard and it would seem that you would need a pretty perfect cut to make this look good seeing as it's the most visible...

Finishing drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I have built a new interior wall in a room that had existing textured ceilings. I'm just wondering how to go about mudding the seams where the new wall meets the old ceiling. I assume I'll want to scrape the texture off so that the tape can lay flat against the ceiling? I've never done texturing...

Laminate Flooring [ 7 Answers ]

I need help... I am trying to figure out what is the best brand for me to buy between a 7mm quickstep and a 12mm St James brand. I was told that the 7mm quick step was such a good product that I could go lower in the thickness and it would be just as good as 12mm with other brands. Does anybody...

Laminate Flooring [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I bought some laminate flooring and after about 5-6 months it seems like one area of the floor has air underneath it. We left a .25 inch space around the whole livingroom but we still have a huge problem. What can we do to fix this. It seems like one section of the flooring looks...

Laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a Quickstep laminate floor 4 years ago. The laminate is bubbling in several places. Quickstep has a 20 year warranty, but has denied my claim. They say I used the wrong pad under the flooring. I used the pad that was recommneded by the retailer and in the Quickstep installation...

View more questions Search