Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timbright2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Tub Replacement with a Shower
    Hello, we have an old house that had a clawfoot tub that drained into the wall about 6 inches above the floor. We now want to replace it with a shower. How do we get the drain problem figured out? We are on a slab foundation. Please any info will help!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 24, 2006, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timbright2
    hello, we have an old house that had a clawfoot tub that drained into the wall about 6 inches above the floor. We now want to replace it with a shower. How do we get the drain problem figured out? We are on a slab foundation. Please any info will help!!!!!
    Hey Tim,

It's a lot easier to convert a tub to a shower then it is to convert a slower to a tub.
    Or it was until I read, " drained into the wall about 6 inches above the floor."
    First off you're going to hafta open up that wall and see what the old tub connects to. It's for sure that some major under slab work well have to be done. This means jackhammering up the slab and taking a 2" trap off a existing drain. You will also have to vent the shower. To do what you wish will require plumbing skills and tools. You are getting into major surgery here
    That might require you to bring in outside help. Regards, Tom
    chonchonater Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2010, 05:03 PM

Hello speedball 1,
    I have a similar question? I would like to remove my existing tub/shpwer and install a shower pan. The house on a concrete foundation and is 12 years old. My wife and I would like to do this project . Do we need any special tools? Can we just remove the tub/shower and drop the new pan right in?
    Thanks,
    Ray
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 05:17 PM

Hi Ray...

A tub drain is only 1.5"...a shower drain requires a 2" drain.

A tub drain is located at the end of the tub so your best bet would be to purchase a retrofit 30"x60" shower pan... right? Then all you should need to do is relocate and increase the drain to 2".

Code would actually want you to run a new 2" drain but for retrofit shower pans many will just increase the pipe size. You do need to know that code requires 2"... ok?

To tell you more I need to know what the walls are made of.

Mark

PS: I answered your other question on setting the shower pan.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2010, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    My wife and I would like to do this project
    Will this job be permitted and inspected?
    Mark suggests a shower pan the same size as your tub, (see image), You could also go a little wild and install twin pancake type shower heads.
    He's correct that your drain should be 2" however in my area we ran a 2" drain and trap fro the tub and reduced down to 1 1/2" for the raiser so you may already have 2" installed.
    There will be tile to install and a shower curtain or doors as well.
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower or tub surround replacement [ 5 Answers ]

Considering replacing my Bathtub/shower surround. Can anyone tell me if the drywall is going to have to go as well because of the glue which was used in order to install the thing in the first place? I'm thinking it's going to tear drywall paper on the way out? Any kind of solvent avail? Thanks

Shower replacement question - drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile shower with a fiberglass shower. The house is on a concrete slab. I have torn out the tile shower and pan. I cut the original drain below the concrete slab. My questions: If I install a drain before I set the shower, how do I determine the height of the drain pipe. ...

Shower Pan Replacement Question [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing an old shower pan with a fiberglass unit. I believe the old pan is acrylic. There is a large opening in the slab for the trap, approx 12" x 12". There will be no support for the part of the pan that's directly above this cutout. Is the fiberglass shower pan strong enough to not...

Shower tile replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife wants me to replace the ceramic tile in our walk in shower. It has white grout that she has a hard time keeping clean, plus she dosen't like the tile. The shower walls are the standard cultured marble type. Its on a slab and does not leak. My question is can I just take out the old tile...

Shower stall replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one piece fiberglass shower stall that I want to remove and replace. The drain pipe is PVC with a metal flange and some lead, how do I remove it?

View more questions Search