Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stairman2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Replacing fiberglass tub with tile shower
    I am removing a fiberglass tub/shower and will replace with a hot mop shower pan with appropriate double drain. The bathroom sets on the first floor slab, with the drain about 8 inches from the wall. I want to move the drain to the center. If I break the concrete and move the drain to the center, how do I fasten the drain to the slab? Do I give myself enough room with an access hole to run my drain line, attach the drain to the pvc, then fill the hole with concrete, and attach the drain with concrete screws? Any help will be appreciated. stairman2001
    tarman8r Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 21, 2008, 09:58 PM
    My name is Justin I am a fourth generation shower pan hot-mopper and the answer to your question. Bust the concrete out from its present location and continue to the location you desire. Take your piping and combine with existing plumbing to the new location. If I were to come in to mop this is what I would like to see ( for positioning of drain ) is the bottom drain flange top, flush with the concrete that you are about to pour. NOTE: never screw screws through a drain even on a wood subfloor. Your concrete poured around the drain will be perfect to hold it in place and it will not move. I hope that this thread has helped you with your question or questions.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 08:26 AM
    I am not sure why you believe a double drain is appropriate or necessary, it is not. You might consider reviewing a Swanstone retro 3260 shower pan. They are designed to replace a tub with a shower and use the existing drain trap. Swanstone Retrofit Shower Floor Left Drain - Home Improvement - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:50 PM
    The bottom portion of your CI drain has flange with 3 screws. As you tighten the screws, it squeezes the seal against the pipe making positive seal.

Some drains have ABS bottom and CI top. You just glue the bottom directly to your ABS / PVC trap riser, hot mop over it, and set upper half into hot hot-mop.

Your drain MUST have weep holes. Don't attempt to install drain w/o them or you will be redoing your new shower pan again. Weep holes drain condensation that occurs between the concrete and hot mop when hot water hits cold (concrete and tile) shower floor. When you install upper portion of the drain (over hot mop), than the height of the drain will give you finished height of your pan floor.

Some drains have adjustable top portion that screws in and out. But still, it is a two-part drain...
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Ballengerb1: Yes, double drain is necessary for hot mop. ( " Double Drain" - meaning drain that can be split into two halves )
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 09:49 AM
    I mistook the terminolgy and thought he meant two separate drain pipes. Thanks for the explanation. I do so many Swanston 3260s that I forgot how to do a pan from scratch. For those who want a custom pan I offer this link, Ryan seems to know what's up with building a pan. How to Build a Shower Pan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Fiberglass Shower/Tub with Custombuilt [ 7 Answers ]

I want to rip out my fiberglass shower/tub assembly (1970 vintage) and install a new tub with tiled shower walls above, glass doors, and all new fixtures. Is there a good plan available somewhere as to how to do this? I'm particularly curious as to what base is required to attach the tiles. Any...

Replacing Fiberglass Shower/Tub with Custom Built [ 6 Answers ]

I want to rip out my fiberglass shower/tub assembly (1970 vintage) and install a new tub with tiled shower walls above, glass doors, and all new fixtures. Is there a good plan available somewhere as to how to do this? I'm particularly curious as to what base is required to attach the tiles. Any...

Replacing a PreFabricated Fiberglass Shower [ 2 Answers ]

What are things to consider when replacing a fiberglass shower and putting in tile and new fixtures? Appears from prior posts, that the custom pan is the trickiest part. What are the main materials or recommended approaches to a custom shower pan?

Replace fiberglass tub and shower unit with steel tub and tile [ 1 Answers ]

Advice for putting in the enaeled steel tub in place of the fiberglass tub and shower unit? Also, from those with experience on getting the fiberglass unit out-Sawsall, etc. Steps you used and where to start sawing first? Thank you, one and all. GJ

Replacing traditional cast iron tub with fiberglass shower unit-HELP [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are growing older (Yeah, but I’m probably still older than you!);) and we are considering replacing one of the tubs in our two bath house with a step-in fiberglass shower unit. My wife broke her hip two years ago and she experienced major problems getting in and out of the tubs....

View more questions Search