Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cebujack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Leak under cement floor
    I am a American missionary in the Philippines. In my house I have a major leak and I don't know where. I don't want to tear up all my floors looking for it. Is there a way to seal the leak like the radiator leak stuff? I read about a company called Sleuth that locates slab leaks that we use, but that is in the U.S. Can somebody tell me what to do without tearing up all of my floors?

Thanks

Pastor Jack
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 06:09 PM
    What are the floors made of and how do you know there is a leak? Is the leak a water supply line, a drain line or part of the home's heating system. Sory but I just need more info.
    cebujack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    What are the floors made out of and how do you know there is a leak? Is the leak a water supply line, a drain line or part of the home's heating system. Sory but i just need more info.

I have all cement floors covered with tiles like all home in Philippines. I lost over 13,000 gallons of water. Yes it is a water supply line. From the water meter to the house there is no leak. But from the house, or under the cement is a massive leak.

Pastor Jack
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Sorry Pastor but if the pipe is under the house 's concrete floor there just aren't any secret fixes. The only tempoary partial fix is to leave the main shut off 90% of the day and only turn it on periodically to refill toilets or a sink full of water and then turn it back off. Fill every bucket you have and that might meet your washing needs for a day. Since you are a missionary I'm hopeful you have a landlord that is renting to you. He has one big repair job ahead.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2008, 08:54 AM
    It's going to work like this Jack. First follow Bals advice about shutting off the water at the meter. There should be companies that advertise "Leak Detraction" in the yellow pages. They will come in with a sensitive listening device and pin point the leak under the slab. In the US they jackhammer up the slab, dig out the dirt, bag it and bare the leak so the plumber can drain the system down and repair it. Do not delay, have this looked at as soon as possible. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower on cement floor [ 5 Answers ]

I want to add a shower to our basement, the plumbing is not there. How do I put the shower plumbing in? Do I have to cut into the main pipe for the shower? Do I have to cut into the cement, or can the plumbing be installed above the cement? Thanks

Installing a tub on cement floor [ 3 Answers ]

We are trying to install a tub in the basement. Drain is already in place trying to make room for pluming of tub?

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

1st floor ceiling leak below 2nd floor shower [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling has developed a swelling or bubble in the ceiling and when touched-it literally fell apart and created a hole. It is dry to the touch but happens to be right in line with our 2nd floor master bedroom shower where the plumbing probably comes down. The shower has a plastic floor with a...

Toilet leak ,3rd floor to 2nd floor ceiling. [ 1 Answers ]

Was told that I would have to build a 6 inch platform to place toilet high enough to get adaquate flow to prevent this. Is this valid or does anyone else have a better plan. Floors,pipes , toilet all new install to existing. 3 years.

View more questions Search