Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rickyfstjohn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Stairwell light need second switch
    I have a stairwell going to the basement with only one switch controlling the light. I want to have switch at both top and bottom, but the wiring is behind the sheetrock. Is there a way to add a switch from the light side not the existing switched side?
    Thanks
    Ricky St. John
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:19 AM
    To do what you want, the single pole switch needs to be changed to a 3 way switch and add a 3 way switch at the bottom. This also means a new 3 wire cable be run between the two switches.

With some strategic drilling and fishing cable, a new 3 wire cable should be able to be installed to the existing switch.

If this is not possible or your not up to it, you can use X-10 devices. These are remote control devices that use existing wiring to transmit signals to receivers on existing wiring.

Review this to see if this is something you can tackle:
    About X10

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch issue, Light stays on! [ 8 Answers ]

Im having a problem with a light switch... the light stays on regardless of the position of the switch. I have swaped the switch out with a new one and still have the same problem. The switch controls to recessed lights over a fireplace. In the box on the wall there are several wires: 2 white...

Change Pilot Light Switch with a Single-way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

It's worth noted that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with me. I want to replace an existing pilot light switch with a single-way lighted switch. The existing setup has four terminals (red wire, black wire, white wire, and ground wire). The red wire goes to the left, the black wire...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

Light switch won't control light [ 2 Answers ]

I took down a ceiling fan and connected a new chandelier. Very basic white from light to white in ceiling, black from light to black from ceiling, ground to ground. There is also a pink wire from ceiling that I just capped. When I turned the fuse back on the light came on but the wall switches...

View more questions Search