Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christa09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Repairing ceiling cracks
    Hi, I have a 3-level house and on the middle level I am getting hairline cracks in the ceiling just in the kitchen and was wondering what the easiest way to fix them myself would be. It is a drywall ceiling and we just moved into the house. It is only 7 years old and I have no clue whether this is normal or if it shows a larger problem. Thanks!!
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Yes it is normal and most crack will appear in the first few years of the house beening built, you notice most cracks above door ways and widows, and occasionally on ceilngs , but not as much as the other to.
    As far as a fix, its drywall much, you'll need to tap the crack with sheetrock tape, or use the mesh tape, which I use for things like that. Apply the tap and use a 3 or 4 taping knife to apply drywall much, smooth this out, this donest have to be perfect so don't dry,
    After this let it dry a day and put another coat on this time using a 6 or 8" knife, make it a little more smoother than the last coat. let this dry, and finally use a 10 or 12" knife for the final coat, this needs to really smooth so it easy to sand after it drys,

Once its dry and you've sanded it, prime it with a good primer, let dry and paint
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 05:56 AM
    OR:
    You can cut a recessed V notch in the drywall(take your utility knife and cut at an angle,roughly 45% on either side of the entire crack),and use a lightweight spackle compound,commonly found at the paint section in most stores.

Sanding/clean-up are a minimum and painting is not as in depth as finished compound.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracks where ceiling meets wall [ 4 Answers ]

I moved in 30 years ole house 4 years ago. When I moved in, the house was newly painted. Now I found cracks on paint everywhere. I don't worry about them 'cause it's just cosmetic. However, there's a long line of crack where ceiling meets wall in all three bedrooms upstairs. It's like...

Cracks in Garage [ 2 Answers ]

My apologies, the original message was not very helpful. After heavy rainfall, we noticed approximately 1/8" cracks in the floor of the garage. These radiating out from a point near the front center of the garage (away from where cars are parked) and extend to each wall. The cracks appear to be...

Repairing a ceiling fan light pull chain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all I need to replace the pull switch for the light for my ceiling fan. I have the part and took off the the cover to get at the part that holds the bulb where the wires are supposed to connect. The problem is that one of the old wires is no longer connected and I can't tell where I should...

Cracks in Asphalt [ 3 Answers ]

My driveway was asphalt paved about 15 years ago, and never resealed. It is now starting to crack in places, ant hills coming through, etc. Is it too late to use a sealer now, and do I need to call a company to come and put another layer on, or are there available products to seal old driveways...

Cracks in brick [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and have a concern about some cracks I have seen in our bricks. We have a split foyer home so the top half of the house is siding and the bottom half is brick. I have noticed that several bricks have a small hairline crack down the middle. The crack is only in an individual...

View more questions Search