Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    re-modler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2005, 06:49 PM
    Laminate floor help
    Hello,
    I am new here but have a terrible problem with a laminate floor we laid about 18 months ago. We laid the floor on top of a well kept, still stuck, vinyl floor. Then the underlayment and then the laminate floor. This is in the kitchen
    Now here is my problem- in front of the sink, cooking area the laminate seems to be "buckling" or raising up at the seams. There is not any excessive wetness in this area. There has never been a water leak in this area.
    What started as a small area of one or two places seems to be "growing" there are areas now that are like this over about 1/2 to 1/2 of the floor.

Does anyone have any ideas of the cause of this?

What about repairing it?? If there are no water leaks---if I replace that part of the floor will it just do it again??

Any and all help is greatly appreciated--thanks in advance
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2005, 07:16 PM
    Perhaps not much help here. I have a conventional hardwood floor. It expands and contracts with the humidity. We have A/C, but the humidity is still enough higher in the summer the floor swells. Our problem is more cracks in the winter. I don't have any ideas what to do, just suggesting a cause. You might check with wherever you bought the material.
    re-modler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2005, 04:01 AM
    Thanks for the info---we have hardwood in the rest of the house but the kitchen didn't get the hardwood just the laminate. I haven't got any idea what to do for it...
    Appreciate your assist.
    :)
    axelworks Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Did you leave a 1/4" gap around the entire perimeter when you installed the floor - allowing for that expansion?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 03:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by axelworks
    Did you leave a 1/4" gap around the entire perimeter when you installed the floor - allowing for that expansion?
    Just for a "heads up" to those that continue to post answers on this thread, the original poster last logged onto this site almost three years ago, so I would hope that others will take that into consideration when posting answers. Although further information concerning correcting problems with laminate flooring is welcome and potentially helpful, this thread now is really old and it's most likely that the problems that the original poster was having have now been solved.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Wood Flooring [ 5 Answers ]

My husband just recently installed laminate wood flooring throughout the house. Can someone please recommend how to clean these floors? Some people have said just spray a little water and damp mop. Can it be cleaned with any kind of cleaner? I just bought some Murphy's Oil for wood floors but on...

Laying laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of laying laminate flooring in a bathroom and need to cut the laminate to fit around the base of the toilet and the basin pedestal. Is there any gadgets that you can buy to help create a template? Alternatively, has anyone got any advice on how this can best be achieved. I'm...

Laminate floors and stairs [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and I are installing Laminate floors in a house and we are getting into the stair work now. The question is can we use underlayment for use with the laminate flooring and still nail it down to the stairs? Another question is it okay to butt the edges to the sides of the stairs that...

Cutting Laminate [ 2 Answers ]

Building a bar in my kitchen and decided to buy laminate and cover with the same color as my countertops.Now I've read that cut laminate slightly bigger then area to cover and router after glue is all set up.I read to that if you place tape where your going to cut.It can be cut with a circular saw...

Laminate floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a pergo product over a vinyl kitchen floor, do I need to remove the vinyl to the wood sub-floor? Or can I install right on to the vinyl? Also do I have to use an underlayment since the kitchen is over the basement, no sound or moisture issues? I have been advised by both ways on this...

View more questions Search