Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelagh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Where to caulk fiberglass shower surround seams
    Our 27 year old apartment complex has fiberglass shower surrounds that become moldy at the seams. I have been advised that the seams are caulked in the back during installation so it is unnecessary to caulk the seams that show an obvious crack vertically at
    The corners or horizontally between the top of the tub and shower surround. This doesn't sound right to me because construction caulking after all these years could be faulty and water is going to cause dampness in these crevices where mold will grow. Please advise.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Caulked from behind during installation, not likely. You want your caulk to be on the surface to prevent infiltration. Clean the cracks with a mildewcide and recaulk with a good bathroom caulk. DAP sells one with a mildew preventer built into it.
    raynellp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 05:42 AM
    I have a fiberglass bathtub/surround and joints have been caulked. We can not control the mildew joints even with constant bleaching, and both tub & surround are very dull from constant scrubblng
    Should we tear out and replace tub and surround?
    Can we reglaze?
    If moisture is behind the caulk (where tub and surround join) how do we get it out if we want to reglaze?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Caulk Shower Drain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a second floor shower drain that is leaking. I have cut a hole in the ceiling downstairs to expose the drain. I went to Home Depot and purchased a new drain primarily to get the no caulk tool to loosen the top ring. I cannot remove the existing brass drain as I cannot loosen the bottom...

Caulk and grout in shower [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced some tiles on my shower floor and walls. I scraped out as much grout (it didn't look like caulk) as I could at the wall joints and the floor/wall joints, but didn't get most of it out. Then I put sanded grout in the joints and over the old grout, but after doing further reading...

No Caulk PVC shower drain [ 8 Answers ]

I just installed an acrylic shower base and an initial test reveals a leak between the drain body and the drain pipe. The drain body just presses over the drain pipe and squeezes through the rubber caulking gasket, so there is nothing to tighten internally once the drain pipe is in. Can anyone...

Caulk vs. Grout in the shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a shower with tile on both the walls and floor. It is a natural stone type tile. The grout (at least I think it is grout) at the joint where the wall tile meets the floor tile has turned black with mold and/or mildew and I need to replace it. I think the cause is inadequate...

No-Caulk Shower Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am remodeling a bathroom with a shower (no tub). I have replaced the leaking 2" trap and I am getting ready to install a new marble shower receptor. I purchased a Jones Plumbest 2" D40-140 no-caulk brass drain fitting that comes with a compression gasket for the riser pipe, and 2...

View more questions Search