Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ken4901 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Underlay for laminate floors
    I'm installing laminate floors in a garage apt. (2nd floor). Why is it necessary to put an underlay and if so is it an absolute necessity to have an underlay on a second floor.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 22, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Yes it is necessary to do it, 1 it's a moisture barrier and do it works as a padding much as the padding does for carpet, you do need it.
    It also acts as a sound barrier for down stairs. If there is any uneven places in the floor the underlay will help this also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardwood Floors [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone here has installed a Hardwood Floor over concrete ? I have done them over wood, but never over concrete and I am looking for any inout/experience on this matter. Thanks

Laminate floors and stairs [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and I are installing Laminate floors in a house and we are getting into the stair work now. The question is can we use underlayment for use with the laminate flooring and still nail it down to the stairs? Another question is it okay to butt the edges to the sides of the stairs that...

Hardwood Floors [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have carpet installed in all of my rooms except the kitchen. I know that we have hardwood floors under the carpet. I would like to convert to hardwood floors. Could you tell me the procedure for sanding and refinishing hardwood floors? In addition, an area of my den floor is warped...

Squeaky floors [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a new laminate floor and wonder if this will stop any squeaks I have in the floor now? Do the existing squeaks have to be repaired BEFORE the new floor is put in?

Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I removed linolium from cement floors and want to use plain cement without any covering. There is a discoloring in spots due to the glue.what can i put on the cement to remove the glue??

View more questions Search