Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soyuppy Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Product comparison/review
    I tried to search around but does not seem to find any place that talk about this. Hope this is the appropriate forum.

Being tech/net savvy, I often do a search (google) on just about anything that I want to buy. So as I'm looking into some electrical plugs and receptacles, I came across various manufacturer names with price range so far apar. I found Hubbell, Pass&Seymore, Leviton, Cooper, Marinco, Wattgate, etc. And of course within each manufacture, there's ranges of grades, like Commercial Grade, Industrial Grade, Hospital Grades, etc.

So to those who have been in this business for long time, how does these product compare? How does a 170.00 Audio grade Wattgate receptacle compare to the 70.00 Hospital Grade Hubbel? Or a 1.00 Leviton from Home Depot for that matter. What is the characteristics of these components that makes them commanding such premium? Is it the material that is use to provide better current? But wouldn't that be in the wire not so much of plug/receptacle?

So the final question is... what is a good price/value point? Stay aways from XXX & YYY?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
    I am only familiar with Hubbell, Pass & Seymore, Leviton, and Cooper, I can tell you Hubbell sets the standards in many specs and the others are equals.

All plugs and receptacles are the weak links in any electrical system, what with the stress they take from heavy currents in industrial, commercial, and hospitals, which need strength and reliability. Most outages and fires will be caused by defective plugs and receptacles.

These grades each have their benefits built to certain standards and quality to overcome the forces and demands put on them. Residential is the least demanding, so they can get away with thirty-five cent devices.

But for a heart monitor, or tools in mines, or in a highly explosive atmosphere, such as a gasoline refinery, devoices are made to take the abuse and keep on working safely. This is a large order to ask of a small male plug halfassed stuck into an outlet drawing full current.

What is your application? Perhaps I can offer what would be best.

Aug 13, 2007, 02:56 PM
    I'm just simply trying run 4 dedicated 20 AMP circuit for whole house Audio and Video. So it's nothing compare to any industrial grade. While I'm sure I won't be spending $140 for a each Wattgate receptacle, I'm not about to just swap the next .50 receptacle from HD either. So I'm just curious about these products. What's unique about each of them? Is it the material? The housing? The clam? Conductivity grade?

My cable will be mostly stranded 12/2(+GND)

I'm leaning toward getting the HUBBEL CR5352 series.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
    CR is their commercial grade, works very well, reasonable price too. More expensive units are higher in quality considering all the attributes you mention.

Aug 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    CR is their commercial grade, works very well, reasonable price too. More expensive units are higher in quality considering all the attributes you mention.
    There appear to be 2 version, side wire only vs back + side wire only. Does the side wire works only on solid or can it be used with stranded? I imagine it would be hard to keep the strands together with the side screw. Thanks for all your help
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 03:59 PM
    The back wire that is compressed with a screw is better for the stranded. Solid wire works better on the side connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Comparison of torque and power [ 1 Answers ]

How torque and power of cars can be correctly compared, as it is normally specified in different rpm's.

Processor Comparison [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process purchasing a laptop computer. There are many processors to choose from these days and I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the differences in the many styles/brands of processors currently offered for these computers. I have always preferred Pentium 4 processors. ...

View more questions Search