Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dortkl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2005, 11:51 AM
    Removing Set Tile Grout
    My Son-in-law Tiled His Bathroom Floor And Did Not Wash The Grout Off The Tiles When He Was Done. Consequently, It Hardened. I'm Wondering Whether There's A Solvent For This Hardened Grout. The Tiles Do Not Have A Smooth Surface, But Rather Many Small Depressions And Grooves With The Hardened Grout In Them. Thank-you.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2005, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dortkl
    My Son-in-law Tiled His Bathroom Floor And Did Not Wash The Grout Off The Tiles When He Was Done. Consequently, It Hardened. I'm Wondering Whether There's A Solvent For This Hardened Grout. The Tiles Do Not Have A Smooth Surface, But Rather Many Small Depressions And Grooves With The Hardened Grout In Them. Thank-you.
    Have you tried scraping a small obscure area with a plastic or even metal paint scraper?
    TerryB Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Nov 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
    The only thing that will come close to removing groute is muriatic acid. This will work for a very light or haze of groute. Anything thicker and you are out of luck.
    Shanni4 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

Nov 30, 2007, 01:21 PM
    I did the same thing when I ceramic tiled my shower walls. It was awful. I don't know what I was thinking letting it sit there like that. My husband bought me a dremel tool with a stone grinding wheel. I had to grind off the dried grout. It took a while but it all came off. He bought it all in a kit for about $40. Hope this helps.
    sunrise2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 10:09 PM
    Day 1, a stiff brissel & water. Day 2, I used grout remover (acid) from Lowe's it really didn't do the job, I should have known better, I damm near the killed the dog disoriented could not focus or stand vision blury,poured some water down his throat, put him in the shower washed his feet & shampoed entire body after 2hrs of hell he came out fine... Day 3, mind you this is really thick set grout I left on, rented a electric scruber with a soft polisher pad & used water this helped a lot but not enough. Some friends told me to use clorox or vineger & water .This is white tile outdoor, black grout. Stay tuned.
    drea84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
    Try vinegar my husband tried everything a wire brush, a wire brush drill attachment, sulfamic acid, hot water, etc. what has worked best for us it re wetting the grout and scrubbing with water and vinegar. Hope this helps :)
    Bigvinny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
    I will try this didn't know it would be so drastic. What I have be doing that is working just taking long and its small glass tile is sanding the grout off with electric sander. It doesn't mar the glass tile and smooths the grout edges around the tile.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvinny View Post
    I will try this didn't know it would be so drastic. What I have be doing that is working just taking long and its small glass tile is sanding the grout off with electric sander. It doesn't mar the glass tile and smoothes the grout edges around the tile.
    This post was 5 years ago. I hope they figured it out by now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Removing Ceramic Tile from concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am in th process of removing ceramic tile from my back porch. We are having a pool installed and need the slab scraped clean so they can float it install acrylic deck. I was told by the contractor that the surface needed to be as smooth as possible. Removing the tile was not difficult, I...

Shower floor tile and grout remain wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2 marble slate flooring. After each shower I take an area of "wet looking" tile and grout expands. I read up on it and seem to think that the drain weep holes may be clogged but my contractor doesn't think so (but hasn't checked to see which would mean taking out the...

Shower tile floor and grout remains wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2s marble floor tile. Every time we take a shower an area of dark, wet looking tile and grout expands. Soon my entire floor will look that way. I've done some research and think that the drain weep holes may be clogged causing water accumulation to saturate my floor...

View more questions Search